Distance

"(Y/n), please! Slow down!" William jogged to keep up with her, he was surprised she could move so fast. Just another one of her many magnificent qualities.

Finally he grabbed hold of her arm, holding her in place but she didn't turn her head and face him. "...Did I do anything wrong? I think not." He answered his own question with a lighthearted tone of voice, being sure not to do anything else that would cause her to run.

She hesitated a reply. "No, it's not you." She leisurely pulled her arm away, keeping her back to him. "I-I'm just not feeling well, all of a sudden. Uh, perhaps it was the air in that room." She struggled to say, hoping that he'd be convinced.

He wasn't and he made a point of saying so. "The air? You're sure it wasn't anything I did?" He hoped to God it wasn't anything he did.

(Y/n) eventually faced him and had a joyful expression, being sure to keep her distance. "No, not at all." She said this with a choppy laugh that was surprisingly believable. William was relieved and returned her expression. "I'm just gonna head home. B-But I'll be back early tomorrow." She mentally cringed. 'Why the fuck would I say that?!'

"Okay." He nodded once. William knew for a fact that he would have her. She was all he could ever dream about and more, and he hadn't a clue until she was right in front of him that night... That glorious night. He would have her, yes he would. "I'll be sure to find you tomorrow morning. There's something very important I must ask of you."

"What?"

"It's a surprise." He winked. Out of nowhere he leaned in and gave her a light peck on the cheek. Her whole face quickly turned red but she tried her hardest to keep a polite smile.

William hurried off, keen on finding his father to inform him of his wonderful news.

As soon as she was alone... Her eyes watered and any trace of a smile was replaced by a depressing grimace. "No..."

She ran. Out of the castle and down the long dirt road all the way to her house where she burst through the front doors. Balling her eyes out by now. Her sister was in the living room reading a book, but she immediately jumped to her feet and dropped it when she heard her siblings frantic cries!

"(Y/n)!" She rushed to her sister's side and tried to console her, but it was no use.

"Where's mom and dad?" She said softly through tears, constantly wiping her eyes.

"A-At work still. Tell me what's wrong." Leía looked over her sister's red and tear stained face, begging for her to calm down and tell her what happened. (Y/n) tried her best to relax, she took in a few deep breaths and shut her eyes.

"Prince..." Her whole body shook and she suddenly felt the need to throw up thinking about it. "I think... Prince William..."

"Yes? What is it?"

"I think he likes me." The claim was even worse when she said it out loud. Her tears began falling even harder this time. However, her younger sister wasn't amused.

Leía had a cold face now. "That's it?" (Y/n) nodded while still sobbing. She shoved her sibling away angrily and grimaced. "You made me think someone died, you idiot!" She smacked her sibling over the head once and went back to retrieve her book from the floor. But she dropped it again and began squealing and hopping up and down as she ran back up to her sister! Gripping her by both arms happily. "The prince likes you?! (Y/n) that's great news!" This caused another wave of sadness to wash over the girl resulting in another guttural sob.

Leía was confused. "Why are you so upset? Do you have any idea what this means for you?! For us?!"

"But I don't like him back!" (Y/n) continued crying, holding her hand over her face.