Chapter 22: The "Secret" Couple

Levi's pov

"Eren. Have you seen y/n?" I asked, making him flinch. "She told me that she'll be at the big tree. I'm not sure why... but I respect her." He smiled softly, thinking of something. "Has Hanji told you anything about me and y/n?" I said, moving closer to him. 

He gulped, shaking his head slowly. "You're lying. You're fidgeting around with your hands. But whatever, I'm going to go find y/n. Tell Hanji I went to go find her." He nodded, walking away. 

I walked outside of Headquarters, looking for y/n. I noticed her laying down on the giant tree branch, looking out in the distance. "Y/n!" She looked at me then was about to jump down. "Don't jump! I'm going to climb." I dug my nails into the bark, boosting myself onto the same branch with my feet. 

I grunted as I made my way next to y/n, feeling her arm bump into mine. "I want to ask you something... Levi." She said, biting her lip. "Go ahead." She took a deep breath and started to fidget with her fingers.

"Wait. Before you say anything... here." I said, giving her a small rectangle box. She looked at the box, gently taking it from my hands. Our knuckles brushed against each other as she reached for the box, quickly pressing it against her stomach. "Open it." I watched as she slowly untied the red ribbon on top of the box, waiting for her reaction. 

She placed her palm on top of the cover, revealing my gift. She softly gasped, a sparkle in her eyes appearing. "Levi..." She placed the cover underneath the box, taking my gift in her hands. 

"It's beautiful..." She let out a breathy laugh. I guess my gift left her speechless. A soft smile appeared on her face, laughing. "Here." I took the gold necklace from her hands, moving her hair to the side. I hooked the necklace around her neck, moving her hair where it was before. 

"Levi... how much did it cost?" She looked at me while holding the necklace, playing around with the chain. "It doesn't matter..." She had a worried expression on her face, her hands dropping to her lap. "What do you mean?"  

I inhaled sharply, scrunching up my eyebrows. "I used up most of my payment from Erwin." I said, letting out an exhale. "Levi! You didn't have to spend that much money for me...!" She sighed and took out what looks like an envelope, digging inside. I peeked over her shoulder, watching her grab some money. "Take this." It was about as much Erwin paid me. 

"What? Why?" I pushed her hand but she kept trying to force it into my hands. "For the cost of this necklace, of course." She shook her head slightly. I shook my head, clicking my tongue. "No need. I have enough money." She groaned, putting the money back in her wallet. 

"You know... this spot isn't so bad." I scooted closer to her, nudging her in the arm. I chuckled, hearing her return it back to me. "It's an alright view. Too green." I let out a hearty laugh, not realizing I was laughing so loud. 

"Well, what's up with you today? Is the Captain possessed by a laughing demon or something?" She said in between laughs. I scoffed, returning back the laughter. "Shut up, shorty." I snickered. "Hey! You're shorter than Jaeger, don't call me short." She giggled, shoving me. I started to play around, pushing her softly. "Don't make me tickle you." I threatened, smirking. She gasped, "Don't you dare, Levi... I can find your tickle spots too!"

She added emphasis to "too", attacking me first at my abdomen. I coughed, tickling her in her stomach. She became weak, laughing out loud. "S... Stop!!" She started to squirm around, almost falling off the branch. I held her, still tickling her stomach. "S- Stop!!! AH! I can't take it... anymore!" She said in between laughs, I couldn't help but laugh along with her. 

"I promise...! I- I won't make fun of your height! I promise! J- Just stop... tickling me!" I stopped, watching her catch her breath. I started to chuckle, putting my arm around her, pulling her close. "You're mean..." She giggled.