XXXI

┌───── ・☆☽・ ─────┐
𝕤𝕖𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕞𝕓𝕖𝕣 𝟙 𝟡 𝟡 𝟝
━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━
"rosie, whatever happens,
you're still going to be my little sister"

A long line of scared-looking first years entered, led by Professor McGonagall, who was carrying a stool on which sat an ancient wizard's hat, heavily patched and darned with a wide rip near the frayed brim

The buzz of talk in the Great Hall faded away, and Hermione's eyes searched the new students for Rosalie. Yet, as the first years lined up in front of the staff table facing the stool Professor McGonagall placed carefully in front of them, Hermione failed to locate the blonde locks from within the group.

In fact, Rosalie wasn't in the group of first years at all, going into the fifth year she would've stuck out like a sore thumb. So where was her best friend?

The first years' faces glowed palely in the candlelight. A small boy right in the middle of the row looked as though he was trembling.

Harry recalled, fleetingly, how terrified he had felt when he had stood there, waiting for the unknown test that would determine to which House he belonged. The whole school waited with bated breath. Then the rip near the hat's brim opened wide like a mouth and the Sorting Hat burst into song.

The hat became motionless once more when it finish; applause broke out, though it was punctured, for the first time in Hermione's memory, with muttering and whispers.

All across the Great Hall students were exchanging remarks with their neighbours and Hermione, clapping along with everyone else knew exactly what they were talking about.

With a last frowning look that swept the four House tables into silence, Professor McGonagall lowered her eyes to her long piece of parchment and called out, "Abercrombie, Euan."

Slowly the long line of first years thinned; in the pauses between the names and the Sorting Hat's decisions, Harry could hear Ron's stomach rumbling loudly.

Finally, "Zeller, Lily" was sorted into Hufflepuff, and Hermione was wondering when Rosalie would be sorted, she couldn't seem to find her anyway, even after the final students had been sorted into their respective houses.

Professor McGonagall lowered her eyes to her long piece of parchment one last time and called out, "Malfoy, Rosalie."

In an instant, the hall was filled with muttering and whispers. All across the Great Hall students were exchanging remarks with their neighbours, as their eyes scanned the hall for this new student.