1.8. The woe of our fates

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Free me from the shackles

From the weight of my own fate

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Namjoon's POV

There it was again...

The words that I hated...

The one thing that I despised the most...

And yet, I could never escape from it, from my own fate no matter how hard I tried.

I could run but I could never break free.

I could stand up but I could never disobey.

I could speak but I never had a voice of my own...

Not around those people, no.

Those manipulative, disgusting, low-life leeches. And regretfully, my father was one of them.

Just like this time, he would force me and my brother to attend a meeting where all those vile creatures gathered after we graduated middle school.

Although my brother seemed unfazed by this, I was bleeding hatred.

I could never accept the way they were working, their wicked thoughts, and just their existence.

The only time I stood up against my father, though, was when I was enrolling in university. I chose a profession distant from politics and fought with my father for a week to make my own choice. I never wanted to have anything to do with that hidden network of politics.

My brother, on the other hand, was sent to a business school to continue my father's 'legacy' as the oldest. Doing business was the easiest way to make money using his politics power like how he did with Ina's parents.

My father was never this corrupted.

I always missed my childhood days when we used to be a wholesome family. No pain, no scar. Only love for life.

Until one day misfortune struck us and my mother caught a deadly disease that eventually became the reason of her passing.

We didn't have the money to admit her to an expensive hospital and pay for her surgery. There was still a chance of her surviving but my mother refused to have us drowning in debt. And my father... He would always blame himself for that... for letting her go like that. He realized that money was the most powerful thing in this world and succumbed to the blind greed due to his agony.

He couldn't get a wink of sleep until he was satisfied with his bank account. He wouldn't sit down until he counted his fortune, all the assets he owned.

And he couldn't stop these political misdeeds until he could forgive himself for his wife's misfortune.

I would try to open his mind, free him from the guilt, but no matter how much I screamed, not a single word would get to him. He would never listen.

Avarice...

That was his sole salvation.

"Kim Namjoon."

Snapping out of my daze, I gulped before answering, "Yes, father?"

"I'm tolerant with you, letting you choose your own profession since you're the second son. But you must obey me."

His tone was stern as always, not a hint of affection present as always.

"Yes, father," I sighed, closing my textbook.

My protest had failed once again.

"Don't be late." The call ended.

I nibbled on my lower lip and was about to throw away my phone when Ina's name appeared on the screen. Wasting no time, I picked up the call.

"Joon, are you going there tonight?" She sounded pissed.

"Yeah."

"Let's take a cab together then. Call me when you're leaving, okay?"

"Sure. But, Ina?"

She hummed, getting calmer by the second.

"Resist the urge to dress like it's a funeral, okay?" I breathed out a snort.

"Shut up, I'll do whatever I want," she huffed out, an act of hers whenever I would tease her. "Someone should be dying tonight."

"Chill, dudette," I chuckled, throwing my head back in my chair to stare at the white ceiling. "Think about loverboy and keep calm."

"Honestly," she sighed, "he's the only thing keeping me together at this point... Everything seems to be getting more and more overwhelming."

We stayed silent for a while, lost in our own thoughts. The two of us both had shackles on that held us down... but she had it worse. At least I could be free in my career, but she... had to live shielding their misdeeds her whole life.

For someone who upheld morals and justice, someone so caring and benevolent, this was an atrocity.

I could only imagine how hard it was for her.

I stood up and walked over to my fridge to search for some snacks. "I'm coming over with chips, chocolate, cookies and ice cream. Open the door for me, okay?"

"Are you tryna make me fat?" She giggled.

"Fat and content, and I'm not taking a 'no' for an answer."

She chuckled once again before singing, "Okay."

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Author's note:

Double update!

This time we have Joon's pov. Everybody has problems of their own, huh 🤔

The next chapter will be from your pov 😉