2.23. Auma

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

You run from your wound

You choose your own life

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"It is finished."

Auma stood tall before me, functioning perfectly fine. It was quite different from what I had seen before. It became foldable. Some minor additions were also put into it here and there, but the screen and the crystal were the same.

The slot was there, too.

I traced the frame of it. If I placed my hand inside, would an alternate universe me come out of it?

If there was one, that is.

Shaking off the thought, I pushed one of the buttons next to the screen and Auma folded into a trolley-like machine within seconds. How the scientists made it like this was beyond me. Throwing a cloth over it, I covered the machine and pushed it out of the storage room by the handles on both sides.

No one seemed to notice me in the hallways. Every person in white robe ran in all directions, mumbling about a leak in one of the experiment rooms. It didn't sound good but it gave me an opportunity.

My head started throbbing and spinning all of a sudden. The pain had me gripping the handles to hold myself up or I would have stumbled and crashed the machine to the floor. Deja vu...

I frantically searched around the empty hallway but nothing out of the ordinary came into sight. When I brought a hand up to brush my hair back, however, it grazed against a paper, making it rustle in the quiet place. There was a sticky note on the machine and I took it off to bring it closer to read.

"Ina?"

Halting my hastened steps, I unconsciously crumpled the paper and threw my head up with my eyes nearly bulging out at the woman in front of me.

"You're okay!" She exclaimed, running up to me to pull me into a hug, crushing me. A gasp left me when my wound got impacted from the collision. "Your father and I were so worried!"

"I..." I opened my mouth to say anything but I couldn't roll of a word from the pain that had me clenching my eyes tightly.

She broke the hug and stepped backwards before flipping the cloth off the machine. "What are you doing with Auma? It's a dangerous machine."

Panic settled in my heart. Like a deer caught in a headlight, I struggled to find a plausible excuse, staring at the machine like a fool. I already felt deja vu and I didn't get the chance to read what was on the sticky note.

"Can't be," mother gasped, holding my shoulder. "Are you planning to bring Jungkook?"

"No," I quickly denied, throwing her hand off myself. "I-It's for Ilhoon! Remembrance! This was his favorite invention and I just need it with me for a few days. I don't even know how to use it. How could I?"

"Ilhoon?" Her eyebrows jumped.

"I lost so many for the last few months... I just need some time to mourn them..."

I felt guilty for lying about mourning them since I didn't properly do it. Still, seeing her being speechless and clearing her throat, I was relieved to see her buying it.