1.15. Don't give in

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

A family tie is like a tree

It can bend but it cannot break

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

No matter how many arguments we had, how much pain I'd go through, nothing could deny the blood in my veins, the fact that I had an inseparable tie with my family. I would always end up going back to my parents no matter how much I hated it to the point that I'd go mad.

This damned tie condemned me to put up with whatever fate I had even though it slowly killed me inside.

"Welcome back, miss."

I nodded at the maid who had been working there for almost two years now as she took off my coat. It was baffling how someone so kind like her put up with my parents for such a long time and still stayed, considering how overbearing they were.

"Thank you."

She nodded. "They're expecting you in the living room."

Of course they were. They're the ones who kept calling me to show up at her 'own home' hundreds of times now. Although it was tempting to just block them, I was afraid they would cause a scene at my university.

Drawing a deep breath, I marched into the living room and found my parents lounging on the bright tan colored leather couch that I used to spend most of my free time, surfing the internet before. Every furniture, every item, every creak in the enormous mansion was familiar...

But at the same time, foreign.

I could never find solace in the very house I used to live in.

And I couldn't catch a glimpse of my mom and dad who I used to love with all my heart anymore.

No love, no warmth, no smiles...

Only cold, frigid looks exchanged between us.

"Sit."

The command was austere. I gulped before sitting on the armchair of the same design on their right.

"You must know already that we are very very disappointed in you, Ina," my father continued to speak with his usual strict tone. "You've come to the point where you'd bite off your own parents' heads, huh?"

Although I had no intention of such, cold sweat ran down my spine and my stomach churned so badly.

"I-"

"Do you want your parents to rot in jail?!"

My heart jumped in my chest and my whole body shuddered at the raise of his voice. I knew that if I lifted my head up, I would quiver ten times more from seeing their expressions.

"I never said that," I managed to voice out. "I only want what's right. And what you are doing isn't right at all. How could this be living if it's like this, at the expense of others?"