2.2. Secrets carry prices to pay

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

What do you do

When your whole world turns upside down?

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

I took a deep breath as soon as I stepped inside my apartment, the silence calming my mind. The notebook was clasped in my arms. Jimin had already read all the entries in it.

He was broken after that.

And I was terrified of reading it even though I was dying to know even the smallest piece of information just a few months ago.

The reality of the situation we were in was slowly sinking in my head.

With heavy steps, I sauntered towards the guest's room where Jungkook was staying, slowly opening the door and opening my mouth to tell him something until my eyes landed on his sleeping figure on the bed, his face illuminated by the lamp on the nightstand.

Why was he sleeping with the light on? It's hard to sleep like that.

I walked over to the lamp to turn the lights off until a thought struck me.

He was afraid.

Jungkook used to have difficulty sleeping before whenever he was restless or afraid of something and would often ask me if it was okay to have the lights on. Could it be?

With no one to turn to, nothing he could do to go back to his normal life, helpless and lost, he must be terrified of the situation he was in. He was in a different world after all... It was both gladdening and heartbreaking that he was holding up well so far.

"I'm sorry," I whispered under my breath, watching him inhale and exhale, his chest slowly move up and down for a moment before turning around and walking out of the room.

Turning on the lights of the living room, I threw myself on the couch and closed my eyes for a spell. My mind was constantly running with millions of thoughts and I could never seem to find the peace of my mind. I didn't want to, either.

Finally finding the resolve to read the diary in my hands, I opened the worn out notebook and began skimming through the sentences with dread crawling up my stomach walls.

"What had I gotten myself into?

Ignorance is bliss and not knowing for what purpose these bastards want me to actually invent all the machines would have been the greatest bliss of my lifetime. But it's too late now.

I only wanted something useful on my resume... how did I get tangled in this fucking mess?

...

The only people who know about these machines are me, my supervisor and the government officials. My supervisor, Jihyuk told me everything was confidential and I might lose my head if I slipped even a word outside these walls."