2.17. Breaking in

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

One rewind

One chance

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Darkness had fallen, soaking the entire neighborhood in its black ink. Not even the moonlight could seep its glowing streak into the black canvas.

Sounds were drowning in the thickness of the ink.

It didn't seem that dangerous when Kangmin said we should move past midnight. But as we slid into the law firm as if we were breaking into a safe, my heart was picking up its pace with each step I took in the dark hallway that only our flashlights illuminated.

It already seemed like a bad idea. And the one glass of juice I drank before leaving the apartment didn't help the situation because of my nerves running rampant.

"I'll check the area. Keep a distance."

With a gun held up on top of his flashlight, Kangmin led the three of us through the rooms and signaled gestures back at us which only Jimin understood and relayed to Jungkook and I. Room after room, we searched the drawers, lockers and cabinets from the top floor. With each page I flipped through, the hope I had at the bottom of my heart was breaking off shard by shard.

To my dismay, there wasn't any new document I hadn't seen before. Soyeon must had given me all the documentation that could be found in the building.

"This is taking too long," Kangmin sighed before dropping a folder into a wooden drawer. "We'll have to split up." He turned to the black haired man beside me. "Jungkook, how good is your self defense?"

"Uh... fine, I think?" He scratched his head. "I have a black belt in taekwondo and I know boxing, too."

"That's unexpected... Well then Jimin, go with Jungkook to the second and third floors. I'll go with Ina to the fourth and fifth. Check each room as quickly as possible, alright?"

Jimin nodded curtly as if he was in front of his superior and not a family member. Jungkook took one worried look at me before following the pale pink haired man down the hallway.

"Come on," the police corporal said and gently pushed my back to move to the stairway. "Can we even find anything? Maybe this place means nothing at all... What will we do then?"

"What about the computers? Can you hack?"

He hesitated for a moment as we descended to the fifth floor. "I'll try... when we get there."

I nodded and opened the nearest archives room to find hundreds of stacks of folders on cabinets. An involuntary sigh left me, but I clenched my fists and dived into it. After an hour or so of skimming through files, the urge to relieve myself became stronger even if I resisted it, and I hated myself and my bladder. I should have forgone the damned juice.

"I need a minute for myself," I blabbered and darted out the door to the bathroom just down the hallway. I assured myself that we had checked the whole area and it was clear. Plus, I had an emergency item in my pocket if things got rough.

Déjà vu | Jungkook fanfiction [Completed]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara