thirteen

N I A L L

"Wow this meal is amazing," I admit with a smile as I quickly eat the roast dinner Lilli's mother prepared. Lilli and I decided to stay a little longer than expected at her parents house as I think she wanted to make up for lost time with her parents which was fine by me.

"Thank you Niall, there is plenty more if you want some" Marie says with a smile as she passes me more potatoes to eat.

"So you two are engaged then?" Lillianna's father asks as he stares at us both and I can't help but feel nervous as not only are we lying about the marriage but he's her father and I'm the guy marrying his daughter.

"Yes, we have been dating for a while now and have been friends for very long so it just feels right," Lillianna says after she takes a sip of her drink and I give her a grateful smile for handling the situation.

"You two do make a gorgeous couple though, don't they Sean?" Marie says with a large smile as Sean nods in response.

"You are both very young though. Lillianna, you aren't pregnant are you?" Sean asks gently and I nearly choke on my potato, gaining a look from Lilli.

"No dad, I'm not pregnant. We are just in love and are ready for this," Lilli explains and I nod and cheekily smile at Sean in response, gaining a look from him making me quickly look down at my plate.

"Well we are very happy for you both and Niall we can just tell how gracious, kind and supportive you are towards our daughter. You are lucky to have found each other. To Lilli and Niall," Marie says as she raises her glass, the rest of us echoing her words with a smile and as I look at Lilli I can see she is genuinely happy.

"Thank you both for being so welcoming and for raising the most beautiful girl in the world," I say as I raise my glass and look at Lilli, completely unaware of my words until they are out in the air.

She smiles at me embarrassed as I smirk at her until she eventually kicks my shin under the table.

"About the wedding, I would really love it if you would both attend and if you wouldn't mind, could you walk me down the aisle dad?" Lillianna asks softly with a smile and as her dad's smile grows my heart almost melts.

"I would be honoured," he replies and I could almost leap for joy for Lillianna. At least this will make the big day a little less painful for her.

"It's next week, in Dublin and I know it's short notice but we had to try and sort it out with our managements and stylists and everything," Lillianna rambles until her mother cuts her off and says," Lilli, we wouldn't miss it for the world!"

"So Niall, you're in a band then?" Sean asks as we clear the kitchen table and place the plates in the dishwasher.
"Yes, sir. I've been in it for around 5 years now which is just crazy," I say with a slight laugh and he nods in response.

"Time flies son," he says quietly and I catch him looking at Lilli who is sitting in the living room with her mother discussing her wedding dress. I can't help but feel bad for the guy.

"She's lucky to have you," he admits, catching me by surprise.

"I can tell you're a good man, a gentleman, and I'm happy she has someone like you in her life who is there to support her and not use her," Sean says sincerely making me smile.

"I have to thank you Niall. I have a feeling you were the one who persuaded her and gave her that push she needed to come here today, to bring her home and for that I will be eternally grateful to you," Sean says, his voice begin to break with emotion and without thinking I pull him into a hug.

"I promise I will look after her sir," I whisper and he pats my back in response.

"I know you will son," he says with a smile.

"Sean, Sean!! Get in here, our song is playing!" We hear Marie yell from the living room, followed by Lilli's laughter.

When we enter the living room, 'That's Amore' by Dean Martin is playing and without thinking Sean runs over to Marie and starts dancing with her, spinning her around the room with a huge smile on his face.

I walk over to Lilli who has the widest smile on her face and I freeze this picture in my mind as I can see who she truly is when she's home, without the pressure of work or the stresses of Vivian. She's just Lilli when she's home. And that's more than enough for me.

I hold out my hand to her with a smirk and she laughs at me as she takes my hand and allows me to dance with her, pulling her close to me.
The last time we were this close was in the nightclub the first night I met her after her movie premiere.

"Seems like forever ago," she says quietly with a smile, completely reading my mind.
"What a night," I tease with a large smirk on my face and she raises her eyebrows with a smile and gently smacks my head as she laughs.

"Thank you Niall for this, for persuading me to come here," she says quietly, looking up at me as her eyes fill with tears of gratitude.

I smile at her, wiping her eyes and say,"I'm just happy to see you genuinely happy Lilli."

She smiles at me and just as she is about to speak Sean changes the song to a traditional Irish song,"You'll never beat the Irish" and the entire atmosphere in the room changes as Lilli, her parents and I dance around the room like crazy people for what feels like hours.
•••••

A/N: please VOTE and COMMENT!!

- I am working really hard on this book! Make sure to comment any suggestions🥰
Let me know what you think of the book and the characters - I really want to create a sense of community here🥺💖
All the love
-G x