seventy one

N I A L L

"Niall!" Lilli gasps, tears spilling down her face as she sobs hysterically and I immediately run towards her and pull her into a warm hug, kissing her lips repeatedly as tears spill down my own face.

"You're here, you're here," Lilli sobs between kisses, her hands cupping my face as she stares at me in disbelief.

"I'm here baby, I'm right here," I reassure, smoothing her messy hair and kissing her again as I practically sit on the hospital bed with her, pushing the doctor out of the way.

She won't let go of me, her hands trembling as she continues to sob with wide and fearful eyes.

She is drenched in sweat, her cheeks flushed and her red hair messy but she's still the most beautiful girl in the world.

I turn around to see Louis crying in relief and Harry places a hand on my shoulder, the colour flooding back into his pale face and I see him exhale a long breath that he had obviously been holding in.

"I'm so sorry Lilli, I'm so sorry," I ramble, kissing her forehead as her small hands cling to me almost as if she is scared to let me go.

"I love you Niall," Lilli cries into my shoulder, my cold hands never letting go of her as I continue to kiss her and hold her close to me.

"I love you so much Lilli, more than you will ever know," I reply, wiping my own tears with my spare hand but before Lilli can reply she groans in pain and doubles over in the hospital bed.

"Mr Horan, you are going to have to change into these scrubs if you are planning to stay in here for the birth," a midwife explains and I'm suddenly realising that this is happening and it's happening quickly.

I offer Harry and Louis grateful looks as they hold Lilli's hands whilst I quickly change into the hospital scrubs, the physical absence of Lilli causing an aching pain in my arms.

Lilli groans again in pain, whimpering as she squeezes her eyes shut and I instantly cradle her upper body and kiss her forehead.

"I'm here baby, you're doing amazing. You're so strong," I whisper in her ear as Lilli continues to whimper and cling onto my hand.

Louis and Harry kiss her cheek, offering last words of encouragement before they graciously leave the hospital room to stand outside the door with relief written over their tired faces.

I am eternally grateful for them and all of the others who have been in the waiting room the entire time.

Lilli looks terrified, clinging to my body with fear as the doctor inspects her cervix and when he looks up at me and nods my heart starts to race with nerves.

"Keep breathing, honey," a midwife soothes Lilli, offering me a reassuring smile over Lilli's head as she places a cooling cloth on her forehead.

"What's wrong?" Lilli whimpers, her voice small and fearful so I quickly squeeze her hand and plant another kiss on her cheek but she's in so much pain I don't think she even notices.

"You ready to push?"

The doctor's question hangs in the air for what feels like forever and my heart begins to race even faster than before, my own fear seeping in until I quickly look down at Lilli.