9: There are weirder ways to invite someone in your bed

"Vos, what-" He cups my face between his large hands and runs his worried stare all over my face.

"Not yet, Red." I frown, my chest tightening but my tears once again exploding at his words. Did he really want me with Abe? He knew what happened, what I've gone through this last week but he stops me? "You don't have your wolf yet." He continues and lowers his voice enough that only I can hear him.

"What do you mean?" I whisper, my breathing coming in short breaths.

"Red, if you reject him your wolf may never return." My eyes widen as I understand the weight of his words. My wolf is barely there and the rejection would kill her for good.

"Oh my Goddess." I blink as more tears fall from my eyes. I can't believe I almost killed my wolf. "Vos- I- I almost killed- I- oh my Goddess." I wipe my hands over my face and try to breathe in a gulp of air. I couldn't think straight over Abe's warning growls and Vos' stare. I suck in a breath, feeling myself begin to panic.

"Hey, Red, Hey, look at me." I stare at his orbs as he runs his thumb across my cheeks, wiping the stray tears. "You're fine. You'll be okay."

Just as I open my mouth to reply to him, I was pulled out of Vos' hold and twisted so that I could face Abe's red face. "Let go of my mate!"

I scoff and glance at Vos only to see him cross his arms and lean on his heels. I knew he was leaving me to handle this, to handle Abe and never have I been so thankful. I don't know what I'd do if two alpha males start battling each other.

"I'm not your mate." My voice takes a very deadly tone and I make sure that my glare matches what I feel.

"Who is he?" I laugh out loud and slap him again, my hand stinging from the force but I find that I didn't care.

"You have no right to be asking me those questions, Alpha." His stare turns cold as he registers my words. All familiarity I have with him instantly vanished into thin air.

"I'm still your mate, Red."

"How many slaps will it take to get through to you? I'm not your mate, you didn't choose me. I was willing to wait for you but you took advantage of me. Enough is enough." I turn around, ready to walk away but I still wasn't contended. I want him hurt. I want him to know what it feels like.

"Oh." I turn back towards him as I intertwine my hand with Vos' hands. "Him? He's the man who chose to be with me when you didn't." I walk away and grab Vos along with me, ignoring all the shadows from the servants hiding by the corners of the palace.

It's true what they say. Servants are bound to know everything.

• • •

"Red." I keep walking but tighten my grip on Vos' hand. I keep an urgent pace and try to balance my breathing with every step. I was feeling so mortified and angry. Just when I was finally ready to let go, I can't. Once again I had to choose between myself and that no- good Alpha.

"Red." Vos tugs me back gently making my back land on his hard chest. I suck in a breath as his arms slowly circles around me pulling me tighter against him. His body cocoons mine as his heat spreads out to me and I allow myself to relax as the gravity of the situation jolts me into reality. I will never be loved by my mate.

"You know what?" I blink back to the present as my back vibrates with Vos' deep voice. "I'm feeling lazy. Why don't we watch a movie?" I smile at his attempt to comfort me. I pull away and turn to him with a tired smile.

"I would love to, but I think I'd rather be alone so I can think." He frowns and cups my face gently, concern marring his features. "I'll be fine."