20: Midday visits can either mean pain or pleasure

LINK

It's been four weeks. Four fucking weeks and Red still hasn't woken up and at this point I'm not sure what could help her gain consciousness.

"Alpha." I blink out of my reverie and look at the frustrated faces pf the people around me. I haven't been that much help with the turn over of the pack between trying not to kill Abe, visiting Red and trying to keep a pack together.

I sigh and slam my hands down the table, not caring that it may come out as disrespect to some of the council elders. "I'm sorry but I have to speak with the queen." I hurriedly get up and march out of the conference room and make my way to the Queen's study.

"You can't be here." I stop in my tracks as I reach the Queen's wing.

"Tell the Queen Link is here. It's urgent." It's now or never. The guard looks at me like I've grown three heads as he praises me from head to toe.

"And who exactly are you to demand such thing!?" He slams his staff on the carpeted floor and leans against the marble walls.

"Just-" The guard immediately straightens up as the Queen's scent wafts through the air.

"Link!" I sigh in relief when I see the Queen's head poking out of her study. I didn't want to use force with the guard but if it came to it, I wouldn't hesitate.

"Your Majesty, I'm sorry to disturb you but I need to talk to you." She smiles at me and motions for me to come to her. I pass by the guard and ignore his stare as I enter the Queen's huge study.

I couldn't help but balk at the size of the room. With wide double doors at the entrance, two long couches parallel to each other and her expensive wooden desk greets me and behind the desk, two french doors that leads out into a wide marble balcony that overlooked the green of the kingdom. The walls were filled to the brim with different literature and paintings of the Royal family. The study was elegant, quite like the Queen.

"It's your first time here isn't it?" I nod as I study the items on her desk. Three stack of papers, a couple of folders, a fountain pen and a picture of her and Sapphire.

"Yes." I reply as I look at her and wait for her to sit on the couch opposite of me before I follow her.

"Is this about your pack?" I smile. Of course she'd know. She always knew.

"Your Majesty, not my pack. It's my brother's." I state, giving her a level look. I wasn't born to be an alpha. I just can't do it.

"Why do you think that? According to the reports made by Orion, you've been doing well and the pack like you far more than your brother." I close my eyes for a second before I breathe out.

"Because right now all I can think about is how to abandon them to someone else. How to leave them behind for some other Alpha to take. I'm not selfless enough to be an Alpha." I clench my fists as I adjust my tie around my neck. I was starting to suffocate with all the ties I had to wear everyday. I gulp and glance at the Queen's relaxed posture.

"Your Majesty all I can think of is-"

"Red." I gulp again but nod my head.

"If only I were here. If only I was there to knock some sense into Abe. If only I were there to stop Abe from saying anything... maybe I could have saved her." I speak quietly, my chest hurting.

Despite everything I always thought I could repair my relationship with Abe, let bygones be bygones but he's gone to far. Nothing can ever make me forgive him. Not even if Red herself says she has forgiven him. Abe will never be my brother again. He is dead to me.