Chapter 1: The Beginning part. 1

"Hey, what's this?"

Kageyama Tobio, second grade, rummaged through a large toy box on the deck of the backyard. Because he wasn't very tall, he was forced to stand on his tip toes and reach into the bin, his dark hair falling in his eyes. He frowned as he tried to reach down, wishing his arms were just a bit longer. His family was inside the house, sipping tea and discussing things that bored him out of his mind. They had sent the kids, he and his cousin, outside to play.

"What's what?" Mikaela Kaisha, a girl with looks identical to Kageyama's, leaned over next to him. With raven black hair and dark blue eyes, the two looked like they could've been twins. However, they were only cousins. Close cousins, but still only cousins.

Kageyama tugged out a ball that was as big as his head. It was black, yellow, and white, and soft to touch.

"A volleyball!" Mikaela exclaimed excitedly, her dark eyes lighting up. "It's Papa's. He said he used to play."

"How do you play?" Kageyama said, narrowing his eyes suspiciously at the ball as if it might grow legs and arms. "It's just a ball."

His cousin frowned. "I dunno. Papa didn't tell me a lot. But he showed me how to hit it. Wanna try?"

Kageyama nodded, his eyes widening. "Sure. How do you hit it?"

"Something like this!" she exclaimed excitedly, making a triangle with her hands. "He told me, you make a triangle with your hands, and when the ball comes to you, push it off your fingertips. And you can't bend your elbows a lot."

"Let me try," he said, smiling. Mikaela tossed it high, and the ball came down, broke through the triangle Kageyama had made with his hands and smacked him in the face.

Mikaela Kaisha burst out laughing, tumbling back onto the grass, laughing so hard her stomach hurt. Kageyama frowned angrily and stomped his foot. "That was my first time," he scowled, kicking the grass with his sneaker. "Don't laugh at me!" But it was impossible not to laugh. Mikaela inhaled sharply and stood up, smiling.

"Sorry," she giggled.

"Try again," he ordered.

And that was where it all began.

Mikaela started looking forward to the times when Kageyama's family and her own would get together for family gatherings. About once or twice a month. Instead of being bored like she used to before, she looked forwards to hanging out with her quiet cousin. She and Kageyama took her father's volleyball outside to play with every time. But they both owned their own volleyball now, and just practiced hitting it back and forth.

Mikaela's father noticed their interest, and one day, took them to see a volleyball game. The two children were in complete and total awe at the way the ball went back and forth, down and up. Three touches before it went over the net. Serves. Spikes. Everything. The players were only in Junior High, but to Kageyama and Mikaela, they were so big and so spectacular.

Then came grade three.

After the match they went to see, they kept practicing together, and at school. There was a club for young volleyball learners because they were much too young to be on a team. They learned how to underhand serve, work on a court with more people, and pass around a few times.

Kageyama took a liking to the setter position a year later. He no longer messed up the pass they had learned so long ago. Mikaela would pass it to him, and he would volley it, and Mikaela would make some sort of spike. Spiking was what she loved, the way the ball plummeted straight down and hit the ground. The sense of power that she got from hitting it.