Chapter 25: The Healing

Mikaela was surprised when Kageyama showed up at the Tsukishima residence early to collect her. She didn't complain- she gathered her stuff and thanked Ayano repeatedly for her hospitality. When she tried to ask Kageyama how practice was, he had scoffed and never answered. Mikaela left it at that.

They didn't talk at all on the way back. Kageyama carried her stuff for her without her needing to ask. When they finally reached his house, he filled her in: no parents in his house until Tuesday. She'd be clear to stay until then.

Mikaela found out later that Kageyama had been sent home from practice by the coach. She sent him a silent thank you.

They spent the entire night watching action movies, adventure movies, fantasy movies: basically anything with plenty of plot holes and very predictable characters. Kageyama made them both popcorn, and the cousins munched on it quietly as the movies progressed. It was nice to be distracted; Mikaela couldn't quite bring herself to enjoy the movies they were watching but she enjoyed how the movies brought her mind off of her father.

The next day, they rotated between playing volleyball in the backyard and watching more movies. At one point, Mikaela dragged out a board game, and it got so heated that she was ready to throw something at her cousin when she landed on one of his properties in Monopoly.

She could never sleep. And when she did, she woke up with nightmares. But Kageyama was by her side every step of the way, and even if he wasn't getting a lot of sleep either, it didn't stop him from getting up at ungodly hours to make sure she was okay.

All in all, she was getting better.

And so was he.

Sunday, three days since she heard the news and two days since she moved into Kageyama's house, Iwaizumi texted her.

Iwaizumi Hajime (14:03): Spiking practice? You can bring Kageyama.

She was tempted. Horribly tempted.

Mikaela Kaisha (14:06): Probably best that we don't.

Iwaizumi Hajime (14:07): Is it your injury?

Mikaela Kaisha (14:07): Not really

Iwaizumi Hajime (14:08): What's up? Are you okay?

Mikaela Kaisha (14:09): Just not up to it. Sorry. Say hi to Oikawa for me

Mikaela sighed, cradling her phone in her hands. Oikawa, the devil he was, would be able to see right through her: he'd know something was wrong. Then she'd have to tell them, and then she'd cry more, and she was finally moving past the 'crying every other hour' phase and she didn't really want to start that up again. Iwaizumi would probably catch on quickly enough, and then she'd have both the Aoba Johsai captains onto her and she really didn't want to talk about it.

She jumped when her phone buzzed in her hands, and nearly groaned when she saw the caller ID. After a quick internal debate about whether to send it to voicemail or not, she hesitantly brought the phone up to her ear. "...Hello?"

"Did you really just turn down practicing with Iwa-chan and I?"

"...Yes."

"Who are you and what have you done with Mika-chan?"

Mikaela's lips twitched at the nickname. "Sorry, Oikawa, not up to it today."

"What happened?"