Chapter 10: The Confrontation

Mikaela and Kageyama spent all their free time in the gymnasium. She'd toss a ball to him, and he'd try to set it so that the ball almost pauses midair and drops. He was getting the set down easily- scarily easily- but his problem was accuracy. Getting to exactly where he wanted it was going to take time.

Yes, she loved helping her cousin out.

...but watching him set the ball and forcing herself not to run up and spike it was so hard.

She tossed him another, and he set it behind him, missing the water bottle that he had placed as a target. "Damn," he mumbled. "Again, please!"

"You don't need to be polite," she said with a roll of her eyes, tossing another ball up.

They had two weeks off- two weeks of a wonderful, blissful summer break- before they would leave for a one-week training camp in Tokyo, with the other teams. Mikaela was excited, but she had a bit of a problem.

Getting her mother's permission.

She couldn't just leave home for a week without her mother noticing- it wasn't possible. Her mother expected her to come home every night unless she had a very good and reasonable excuse not to. The two-day training camp trip, she'd flat out lied to her mother about- she said she was going out with Kageyama for the day and that she stayed over at his place for the night. Going away for a week was a bit harder to lie about.

It was about one week into her two-week break when she sucked up the courage to ask her mom if she could go. There were seven days until the training camp, and she knew she was going to go, even if she had to break out of the house to do it.

"I haven't asked my mom about the training camp yet," she mentioned to her cousin when they were walking home from practicing late.

"You haven't?" Kageyama asked, cocking his head. "Why not?"

"She'll say no," Mikaela replied, shaking her head. "She doesn't approve of me being a manager, to begin with."

The setter frowned. "But she let you go to the other camp."

She laughed. "...Not exactly."

Kageyama frowned, and then his eyes widened with realization. He sighed. "You didn't tell her, did you?"

"Yep."

"What excuse was it this time?"

"I was at your place for the night."

He shrugged. "That's believable. You do it occasionally."

Mikaela nodded. "Yeah. I can't exactly say that I'm hiding at your place for a week, though."

"Well..." Kageyama sighed, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "No, I guess you can't. So, you're going to ask her? What if she says no?"

"Then you help break me out of the house," she said without hesitation, crossing her arms, "and we go anyways."

Kageyama was about to respond when there was a beep. Mikaela dug into her track pants pocket and pulled out her phone, which was beeping noisily as an alarm. "Crap," she muttered, shaking her head. "Pill time." She tugged her backpack off her shoulder, retrieved the water bottle from the main pouch, then started hunting through the front pocket. She pulled out the blue case and tipped two pills into her hand. "Hold," she instructed, handing the case and her phone to Kageyama.

Her cousin took the case and screwed the lid on, balancing the blue case on top of the phone. Mikaela took a sip from her water bottle, tipped her head back, dumped the pills into her mouth, and swallowed- so fast that Kageyama was surprised that she didn't gag. "Thanks," she said, taking the case back from Kageyama and putting it back in her bag. "All good."