Chapter 12: The Incident part.1

Mikaela kept her promise to her mother.

She was home every night with plenty of time to spare. She studied. She even ended up doing pointless chores around the house. But she was still allowed out of the house to go practice, and she was still allowed to go to the training camp, and that was what mattered.

They left for the training camp at midnight. Mikaela was bouncing from foot to foot, eager to just get on the bus and get out of the area- this would be the furthest she'd gotten from her mother since the two-day training camp. She was one of the first to meet at Karasuno that night- around 11:40- and started loading her luggage into the bus before she needed to speak with Shimizu.

The older manager was incredibly organized and showed Mikaela the statistics sheets she had prepared. As Mikaela flipped through them, eyeing the neatness and arrangement with awe, more and more of the boys started to show up- first were Sawamura and Sugawara, mere minutes after she'd gotten there, with Azumane in tow. The three other second years beside Tanaka and Nishinoya showed up, but she still didn't know their names. Yamaguchi and Tsukishima were next, followed closely by Hinata, Tanaka, Nishinoya, and her cousin. That was everyone.

"Oooh!" Hinata cheered, bouncing on the spot. "Leaving in the middle of the night is so exciting!"

Tanaka laughed, clapping his junior on the back. "Yeah, you two missed out on this the first time." He was alluding to the other training camp, Mikaela realized. Kageyama and Hinata had gotten their own ride down.

"One of the few benefits of being idiots, I guess," Tsukishima scoffed in his usual tone, "little brain activity means you can sleep anywhere."

"You would know," Mikaela remarked as she walked by, the two aforementioned 'idiots' howling their protests.

"I suspect you would, then, too," the blond shot back, raising an eyebrow at her.

Mikaela opened her mouth to fire something back when Sawamura stepped between them. "Nope. Not again. Not again."

Tsukishima rolled his eyes and turned away from her, moving towards Yamaguchi. Mikaela apologized to her senpai and weaved through the boys to find Kageyama, who was standing by himself. "Hey, Kaisha," he said, glancing up to look at her.

Mikaela glanced from him to Hinata, who was avoiding eye contact with the setter. "You're still not talking?" she pressed, raising an eyebrow at him.

He scoffed. "Who cares?"

"...Dumbass."

"Hey!"

"Alright everyone, load up!" Takeda called out, and Mikaela sighed and trudged over to the bus, Kageyama scowling behind her.

The bus ride was quiet. Most of the team chose to sleep, wearing eye masks and wrapping unused jackets around themselves. Mikaela felt warm- the summer air was hot. She wished she could wear shorts... but track pants were the safest bet. For sure. She shared a seat with Kageyama, who was scribbling in his volleyball journal for about ten minutes before he decided to doze off. She sighed, knowing that no matter how hard she tried, she wouldn't be able to fall asleep.

When they arrived, Mikaela felt more dead than alive. She'd never been able to sleep in vehicles, and the bus ride was no exception. Hinata seemed more lively than ever, and it made her want to grab him and drain some of his energy out of him and for herself.

"The sun's too bright," she mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

Sugawara overheard her and laughed. "Yeah, we're all a bit tired."

She smirked and jerked her chin at their decoy. "All of us except him, of course."

"Yeah," the vice captain agreed with a chuckle, watching Hinata point out various cell towers and demand the Nekoma setter to tell him if maybe this one was the Tokyo Tower. "He does know that we're in Saitama and not Tokyo, right?"