4

LOVE AND WAR
4. Treason

        Lord Warwick burst into his quarters at his castle in a fit of rage, searching for his wife

Lord Warwick burst into his quarters at his castle in a fit of rage, searching for his wife. "Where's the Countess?" He impatiently asked one of the servants who bowed to him, "Bring her in here!"

Moments later, Lord Warwick stood in his chambers with his wife, who had heard the entire story he had to tell about what had just occurred. She now knew all about how Edward was so captivated by Nora FitzRoy that he was refusing to marry her off to their cousin, despite it being a necessary match to keep the Lancastrians contained.

With news of her claim to the throne spreading like wildfire, the Lancastrians would try everything within their power to get their hands on her. She needed to marry someone loyal to house York, someone who wasn't powerful enough for her to use to challenge Edward's claim.

If she were to marry Edward, she could easily use being queen to gain supporters to rip her own husband off the throne and become queen in her own right.

However, if they knew Nora in the slightest, they would know that being queen, even a consort, was the last thing she wanted for herself.

"But how!" Lady Anne Beauchamp asked in disbelief and her husband shrugged, "How could he refuse you? If she isn't married off, everything will be ruined."

"He's lost his mind. He is thinking with what is inside his breeches instead of with his head. But why am I shocked? It isn't the first time and it surely isn't the last," He explained in a venomous tone, "All for some Lancastrian whore who was willing to spread her legs for him the first chance she got!"

"He is young and she is as well. He is infatuated with her. This will pass. It must," His wife explained, an uneasy look on her face, "He'll get over her as he did with all the women he involved himself with. What makes this girl any different?"

Lord Warwick remained silent, hoping to himself that it was the truth.

____

      It was morning time. Nora was walking alone through the castle, needing some time alone after spending nearly an hour with her mother, who ranted about her time with Cecily Neville.

Katherine herself didn't want to admit it, but Nora could tell. Her mother was happy to be in her family's good graces once more.

Her mother had to leave her entire family behind to marry Thomas FitzRoy, but now that he was dead, her mother was able to slowly ease her way back into her old life.

As much as Nora was happy for her mother, she herself felt lonely. She had no friends, no girls her age to gossip and spend time with as most unmarried women her age did.

All the friends she had growing up were fellow Lancastrians and now, the castle was filled with those loyal to the Yorks. And the majority of those loyal to House York that lived in the castle despised her for being born a Lancastrian. She'd never fit in, no matter how many times it was brought up that her mother was a Neville.