34

LOVE AND WAR
— 34. Manipulation

     It didn't take long after Edward left for Nora to decide to send her children to Bedford Castle with fifty men, leaving none for herself as she remained at Westminster

     It didn't take long after Edward left for Nora to decide to send her children to Bedford Castle with fifty men, leaving none for herself as she remained at Westminster. She had a plan. A plan that would ensure her and her children's survival if the Lancasters were to take London. She knew it would work, too.

Nora was sitting in her chambers, writing a letter to her son Arthur. She suddenly stopped, however, when a soldier loyal to House York burst through the door.

"Is something wrong?" Nora asked in concern as she rose from her seat, but she had the feeling she already knew the answer.

"Your Grace, Warwick did not land in the North as the king once thought. We were barely outside London before he took us by surprise," He explained to her quickly, a fearful look on her face, "The king escaped to Flanders with his brother Richard and Anthony Woodville."

"What of George?" Nora questioned in genuine concern, "Did he join Edward's side?"

"We weren't ready to fight. We had to flee so quickly that there was no battle. We still don't know where George's loyalties lie," he continued on and Nora began to anxiously pace the room, running her fingers through her hair.

"Is Edward still king?" She asked as she stopped walking and turned to face him.

"No, Your Grace," He admitted softly as he shook his head, "Warwick is on his way to London to make Henry of Lancaster king once more."

Nora remained silent, slowly nodding her head in understanding. "You may go now," She insisted, earning a puzzled look from the man.

"Your Grace, I've been sent here to escort you to safety—" He began to complain, only to have Nora cut him off.

"I thank you for that, but I can take care of myself. I must," Nora demanded and before the man could react, Nora ran out of the room.

Nora ran out of the castle and through the streets of London, rushing to the Tower of London.

Before going to Elizabeth, Nora made her way to her uncle, King Henry. She opened the door to his rooms before entering, trying to maintain composure.

"Uncle?" She called out, but Henry still didn't answer as he sat on his bed, "Uncle Henry?"

With that, Henry turned to her, smiling since he didn't know what else to do. Nora walked toward him until she was kneeling in front of him.

She grabbed his hands, staring up at him with a large smile on her face. "Do you remember me, Uncle Henry?" She asked him and he stared at her blankly, "I am your niece. Nora. Daughter of your brother Thomas. You remember me, don't you?"

It was clear he didn't, but Nora knew she had to work through that. She grabbed his hands and placed them on her face. "My father used to let me sit on his lap as he took part in your privy council meeting. He used to be your best friend. Your favorite brother. Your right hand."