21

LOVE AND WAR
— 21. Irrelevant

    Days later, there was a feast held at the castle

Days later, there was a feast held at the castle. Nora couldn't take watching her husband shame by her flirting with other women of the court right in front of her and decided to leave. She walked out of the feast, beginning to walk down the hallway alone.

Edward had seen her leave and followed after her. "Where are you going?" He asked her, causing Nora to stop walking to turn to face him.

"Anywhere that isn't that room," Nora answered, letting out a large scoff, "I don't enjoy the sight of my husband fondling with whores right before my eyes."

"Your husband has a lot of guts to do such a thing, that's for sure," Edward commented, earning an annoyed look from Nora.

"Is it a sin, to wish death upon him every single night in my prayers?" Nora found herself asking Edward, who didn't seem shocked by her response.

"No, it is not," Edward assured her, but didn't expect what Nora said next, "Not after the way he treats you."

"No, Edward. You don't understand," Nora argued, speaking in a calm, yet stern tone, "I barely sleep at all as I lay in bed next to my husband. Most nights, I lay in bed next to him, staring up at the canopy. I find myself thinking of all the ways I could kill him and make it look like an accident."

Edward's eyes widened, never expecting such a confession from Nora, of all people. She truly wanted her husband dead, didn't she? So much so she was imagining each way she could do it.

   Nora turned her head, seeing Arthur walking toward her. She sighed in defeat, beginning to feel uneasy.

Edward turned his head, immediately noticing what she was looking at. He remained in place, waiting for Arthur to reach them.

"Arthur," Edward called out, forcing a smile on his face, "I had stopped Nora to speak of the charity work she's been doing in the city. My mother and Margaret talk my ear about it constantly. I had to hear for myself and in all honestly, it's a relief someone has decided to help those in need in the city."

"Well, now that you've conversed, it's time my wife and I return to our chambers," Arthur explained coldly, bowing his head to Edward, "Your Grace."

Nora exchanged a look with Edward, just before Arthur roughly grabbed her by the arm and led her to their chambers.

Edward sighed in defeat, walking in the other direction.

That night, he found himself standing on the balcony on the second level of the castle, overlooking the city. He couldn't stop thinking about Nora, fearing for what she was going through on that night.

Hearing approaching footsteps, Edward turned his head. He relaxed when he saw it was just Richard walking over to him.

"There you are," Richard greeted his brother, stopping when he was standing beside him on the balcony, "You were missing from the feast. Our cousin Warwick was quick to notice," He paused, giving his brother a knowing look, "Is it because Nora's husband whisked her away and brought her back to their chambers?"