58

LOVE AND WAR
— 58. Treason

      Just before first light, Nora woke up, knowing she'd have to leave since Richard and the rest of the men would be due to leave for battle

     She turned around to face Richard as she laid next to him. She smiled softly, leaning forward to kiss him on the cheek before she sat up from the bed.

    She was quick to get dressed while Richard remained asleep.

As she was placing her shoes on, Nora began to hear Richard stir in her sleep. She turned, watching as his eyes slowly opened.

His eyes immediately locked on Nora and he smiled. "Leaving so soon?" He jokingly asked and Nora smiled back at him.

"As I recall, you have a battle to fight in," She replied in a joking tone before she let out a sigh, "I have to return to Katherine and Elizabeth's girls anyway. And I must see my sons before I go."

Richard sat up, nodding his head in understanding. Nora moved closer to Richard and took a seat beside him. She sighed, an uneasy look on her face.

"You've spent most of your life fighting in battles and you've survived each of them. Don't let this one cost me you, Richard," She whispered softly and Richard nodded, "I can't bear to lose anyone else."

Richard smiled, cupping her face in his hands. "You won't lose me," He assured her, pressing a soft kiss to her lips.

"I pray that you are right," She admitted in a whisper, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

She stood up, taking one last look at Richard. She smiled at him sadly, just before walking out of the tent.

She found herself traveling to Thomas' tent, seeing as though Arthur wouldn't want to see her. However, as if on cue, Nora froze, her eyes locking on Arthur.

Arthur's eyes widened, shocked to see Nora. "Mother!" He exclaimed and Nora wasted no time walking toward him.

"What are you doing here?" He asked in confusion, only to have his eyes wander to his uncle's tent, "Oh..."

"I came for you and your brother, too, you know," Nora assured him as she grabbed his hand and smiled softly, "I couldn't bear leaving without saying goodbye."

"I was fine the entire day, but now that it is here, I'm worried," Arthur confessed, an uneasy look on his face, "I wonder if I'm strong enough to win because winning means I must kill Henry Tudor and I don't know if I have the guts to do such a thing to a man who was once like family to me."

"Listen to me, you must stay strong," Nora whispered to her son, placing her hands on his shoulders, "You have to stay strong."

"I can't say strong," Arthur admitted as he shook his head, a hopeless look on his face, "I never was strong."