19

LOVE AND WAR
— 19. Roses

The following afternoon, it was time for her son's Christening and Nora was more than ready

In the church, she stood with numerous others, watching as her son was baptized.

  Surprisingly, as he was dipped into the water by the archbishop, little Arthur did not cry, which was a shock to everything. The babies, always cried.

In truth, he looked puzzled as to what the hell was going on and why he was being dunked into the water. Not to mention, why was the man holding him speaking a language unknown to him, a language that happened to be Latin.

Nora watched closely, a small smile on her face. She turned her head, seeing Edward's eyes were on the scene as well. He smiled slightly, impressed by his son's good behavior.

She turned again, looking straight toward her husband Arthur, who didn't even seem to be paying attention to the ceremony.

Nora had no say in who was her son's godparents, but with her luck, it was people she was fine with.

Arthur chose his first cousins, Margaret of York and Richard, Edward's own siblings. She thought it was funny that if she had a say, she would have chosen them anyway. They were of House York, but it didn't change the fact that little Arthur's own aunt and uncle had become his Godparents.

She knew why he did it, too. He knew he wasn't in the king's good graces and what better way to do that than gift his son with godparents close to the king?

Nora didn't think it made sense, but she allowed him to think that it did.

As the ceremony finished, the archbishop turned, placing the baby in Margaret's arms.

They walked through the ceremony line, just before leaving the room with Nora and Arthur following close behind her.

Nora quietly chuckled, an evil smirk on her face, which her husband noticed. He roughly grabbed her by the arm, pulling her closer to him. "And what are you gloating about?"

"I am simply happy, my love," Nora sarcastically replied, earning a glare from Arthur since he had noticed what kind of tone she used, "Our son has been baptized and has been gifted with wonderful Godparents who would take good care of him if we were to perish," She paused, turning away with a smirk on her face, "Or one of us, for that matter."

   Leaving the church, Nora exchanged a brief look with Edward before she walked away with Margaret while little Arthur had been taken by Alice to be put to sleep. As she did so, Edward was quick to turn to George, urging him to do as he was told and whisk Arthur away for the rest of the night.

"They're thinking of marrying me off," Margaret confessed, a disappointed look on her face as she walked through the gardens at Westminster with Nora, "After all, I am of age and the only one of my sisters who haven't been strategically married off."