43

LOVE AND WAR
— 43. Lifeless

 Lifeless

1483

           It was morning time. Edward was laying in his chambers asleep when Nora entered. She snuck over to his bed before climbing in, a smile on her face.

  She stared down at him lovingly, lightly tracing her fingertips along his stomach and chest. She lifted her hand to his cheek, affectionately stroking it as she hoped for him to finally wake up.

She playfully rolled her eyes, deciding to trail downwards instead. She trailed her hand down, below the sheets. And just as she gripped onto him, Edward had jolted awake. Seeing as though he didn't sleep in Nora's bed on that night as he usually did, he had no clue who it was in his bed at that moment.

He grabbed ahold of the person's neck, not knowing it was Nora. Nora smiled in amusement, not bothered by his grip on her. She had a grip on him as well, after all.

Edward relaxed when he saw that it was her. He loosened his grip on her neck but his hand remained there.

"Good morning to you, too, my love," She whispered to him softly, continuing to stroke him underneath the sheets.

Edward groaned in pleasure, but forced himself to keep quiet as she tilted Nora's head to the side, giving her access to the crook of her neck. He began to kiss her neck and then down her shoulder.

Nora titled her head back, her eyes closing as she moaned quietly at his touch.

Edward slowly pulled away, staring into her eyes with such love and admiration. Nora smiled at him, loving that even after twenty-one years of being with each other, Edward somehow still looked at her with the same loving look he did when they first met. Perhaps even more so.

For years now, many women had come into Edward's bed but only one remained at his side through it all. Nora. He loved her more than life itself and he would kill anyone who tried to harm her.

She was what mattered most to him. Perhaps even more than the crown.

  Edward affectionately stroked her cheek before he leaned forward, pressing his lips against hers.

  An hour later, naked, Nora laid on her stomach in Edward's bed, reading the poem written on the piece of paper she held in her hand. Edward laid on his back, his head rested on Nora's lower back as he listened to her read it aloud.

"And you wrote this?" Edward questioned, lifting his head slightly to give her an impressed look.

"What with all these years of peace England has had, I've had no secret plans to make up. Because of that, I've taken up poetry. It isn't that hard, actually," She explained and Edward smiled in amusement.