50

LOVE AND WAR
— 50. Paranoia 

 Paranoia 

1485

     In one of the many hallways of Westminster Palace, Katherine, Maggie, Teddy, and Edward, the youngest children belonging to the three sons of York giggled as they ran together.

Katherine ran ahead with Maggie as Teddy, Maggie's younger brother, and Edward, their cousin and the only son of Richard, tried to catch them.

Edward was trailing behind his three cousins, his wooden sword raised when his mother spotted them.

"Katherine, Katherine! Margaret! Teddy!" Anne scolded each of them, but the children ran off anyway, ignoring her.

Before her own son could get away, Anne grabbed Edward by the arm he used to hold his wooden sword, the same sword that had been given to him by Thomas just a few hours before.

"Edward!" She exclaimed, frowning when she noticed that her son was only wearing his underclothes, "Where are your clothes?!"

"I'm hot," He shrugged, not seeing it as a big deal.

Worried, Anne placed her hands on both sides of her son's neck, immediately feeling how hot he was. "You're burning up," She realized and grabbed her son by the hand, on the verge of leading him back to his room, "You must be put to bed at once."

"No! Lady Mother, please! I'd like to continue playing with Katherine, Maggie, and Teddy," Edward whined, hating the way his mother babied him.

"Anne?" A voice called out and Anne turned her head, watching as Richard and Nora walked toward her together.

"Edward has another fever," Anne informed her husband and her sister-in-law in a calm tone.

"He's just been running around," Richard assured Anne, not seeing it as a big deal as his wife did.

Glad that his father had taken his side, Edward ran off, off to find his cousins.

Anne hesitantly watched her only son run away from her. She sighed in defeat and turned to face the two co-regents of England, making her way toward them.

She was clearly unhappy, which Nora was quick to notice. However, she didn't point it out at that moment.

  "My spies tell me that Henry Tudor's declared that he is King of England and announced his betrothal to Princess Lizbeth," Richard informed Anne, who turned to Nora with a shocked look.

"What?" She asked, letting out a small gasp.

"He claims that in my daughter, he will unite York and Lancaster and end these wars.
The disappearance of my boys has only made him bolder and now he will invade the very first moment he can," She explained in a calm tone while Anne looked uneasy, "We shall pray to God that He is on our side during this war."