39

LOVE AND WAR
— 39. France

Nora was walking down the hallway alone when she suddenly spotted Margaret Beaufort, who was standing alone on the balcony

She sighed in defeat, just before making her way over. "I heard what you did," She spoke up, causing Margaret to turn to look at her, "You brought the Queen's baby to life."

"It was God's will, not mine," Margaret answered in a calm tone, causing Nora to turn to her with a curious look.

"But isn't your will God's?" Nora questioned and Margaret decided to ignore her, believing Nora was just trying to tease her.

In truth, she wasn't. She was actually curious. She wasn't going to admit that out loud, though.

"He loves you," Margaret suddenly remarked, earning a confused look from Nora, "For years now, I wondered why he always pushed me away when I believed he returned those feelings that I had for him. I now realize it was because he cared for you, not me," She paused, noticing how Nora still looked confused, "Jasper, you fool."

"I do not care for Jasper in that way," Nora pointed out to Margaret, who scoffed loudly.

"No, you only let him kiss you on numerous occasions for no apparent reason," Margaret commented and Nora sighed in defeat, "You cared about him, but you just didn't want to admit it. You would rather be the king's whore."

Nora glared at Margaret but wasn't offended by her words. "Is that supposed to hurt me?" She retorted in a cold tone, "It doesn't."

"It should," Margaret argued in a stern tone, "What do you think will happen when the king dies? Do you think anyone will care for you, then? No. Your children are bastards and Queen Elizabeth's son will be king. She'll have a hold on him and rule through him as we all know she will. She'll have you banished from court and you'll live your life as another man's whore, just to survive."

Nora turned to face Margaret fully. She quietly laughed, taking a threatening step toward the Beaufort woman.

"Just because you're unhappy that Jasper does not love you, it doesn't mean you have to attempt to drag me down," Nora snapped at Margaret coldly, "Do you want to hear the truth, Margaret? Yes, I did, in fact, care for Jasper. I found an understanding with him that I found nowhere else. I let him kiss me because a part of me did want him to kiss me. However, what I feel for Edward is far stronger than what I feel for Jasper. It always will be. Jasper is the enemy. I will never return those feelings ever again. You may have him if you please, I do not care. Edward is the only one for me, no one else."

"How does it feel?" Margaret asked, much to Nora's confusion, "To give up your entire life to become the king's whore? If you remained on the side of House Lancaster, you could've been Queen. The first English Queen regnant. You could have made English prosper in ways the kings who ruled before you did not. Instead, you chose to become the king's mistress and throw all your potential away. The only titles you have now have been earned by spreading your legs for him and pleasing him. When he dies, you will be nothing. Nothing at all. All your titles will be taken and you'll be left on the streets. All because you refused to become Queen and allowed your children to be named bastards even though they are not."