44

LOVE AND WAR
— 44. Threats

      Outside Edward's chambers, those waiting there began to hear Nora's loud cries and screams, which told them that Edward was dead

At the sounds of Nora's heartbroken screams, even Cecily and Anne began to tear up, hearing the pain and heartbreak within the woman's screams.

     Cecily wasted no time hugging Thomas and Grace as Arthur did the same to George, Edmund, and Katherine.

Lizbeth had been closest near the door and had refused physical contact with anyone. She began to tear up, on the verge of entering the room. "Mother?" She called out in concern, but of course, she got no answer, "Mother!"

Lizbeth was about to enter her father's chambers, but Richard quickly grabbed her by the arm, stopping her. "Your mother must grieve alone," He warned her and despite knowing he had a point, it pained Lizbeth to leave her mother alone at a time like that.

Lizbeth couldn't help herself and began to sob. Out of all her siblings, it was clear she was being affected by her father's death the most. She was, after all, the one who was closest to him. Of course, Arthur and Edward had always been close, but they weren't as close as they were when Arthur was still a child.

Ever since he had become of age, Arthur had been let free into the world and he did exactly that. He was rarely home for more than two weeks. Lizbeth always stayed, though. She remained with her mother and father always.

She had been at her father's side her entire life and now, he was gone.

Richard moved closer to his godchild and wasted no time hugging the heartbroken girl. Lizbeth sobbed loudly and Richard tried his best to calm her down, but there was no use. She was completely heart broken.

A few moments had passed before the door to Edward's room opened. Cecily, Anne, and Richard stared at Nora in shock. They noticed the way she didn't even look the same, as if half of her has been torn from her. In truth, she would never be the same again. They all knew that.

Each man and woman there bowed to her, even Arthur, despite now being king.

Nora walked through the crowds of people until she stopped in front of Lizbeth and Arthur, who were nearly just as heartbroken as their mother.

"I..." Nora trailed off, trying not to break down in front of all the people standing before him, especially in front of her children since she knew she had to be strong for them in a time like that, "I must go."

"Mother--" Arthur began to call out, but before he could finish his statement, Nora had walked off, clearly in no position to be around anyone at that moment.

Slowly, he turned to the subjects, who stared him closely. Richard watched Arthur closely, realizing that he didn't know what to do.

He stepped forward, ready to speak for him. "The king is dead! Long live King Arthur!" He shouted out and the subjects around him followed soon after.