17

LOVE AND WAR
— 17. Little Prince

    Two hours had passed and it was now nightfall

    Two hours had passed and it was now nightfall. Edward had finally laid his son back down to sleep in his cradle before he ordered a servant to assist him in finding Nora's room.

The servant walked off and Edward knocked on the door. He then entered, frowning when he saw the state of the room.

It was a room he had not expected out of Nora Neville, Duchess of Bedford.

"God, this room is—" He began to say, only to get cut off by Nora, who sat silently in a chair.

"Unfit for a noble? I know," Nora admitted softly, a disappointed look on her face, "Where is my husband?"

Edward sighed, knowing she'd end up asking that sooner or later. "He's alive," He informed her and he could've sworn for a split second, there was a hint of fear in her eyes, "He's wounded, but will surely live. I bribed the nun tending to him at a convent to force him to stay longer than necessary. To give us some time together."

"It isn't fair, Edward!" Nora suddenly shouted as she stood up, shooting him an angry look as tears threatened to spill from her eyes, "You don't get to leave me with this man for nine months and then return, acting as if all is well. Not when you'll be leaving once more while I'm left to deal with him and whatever he chooses as a way to enact punishment for being with you while he wasn't here."

  Edward slowly walked closer to Nora, a deeply worried look on his face. "Has he harmed you?" He asked in a whisper, beginning to walk closer to him.

Nora avoided eye contact with Edward, shaking her head. "It need not matter."

"It matters to me!" Edward complained loudly, "If he has mistreated you anyway, Nora, you must tell me. Tell me and I'll take you away from here, to someplace safe until—"

"Until when?" Nora scoffed loudly, "Until you finally figure out what to tell Warwick about our secret marriage? I'm not a fool. He is the reason you have not announced Arthur and I's marriage to be invalid. You fear Warwick will never forgive you."

Edward remained silent, knowing Nora was speaking the truth. He sighed in defeat, turning his head to avoid eye contact with her.

Nora paced around the room, a deeply saddened look on her face. Edward moved closer to Nora, until he was standing in front of her. He lifted his hand, tracing his fingers along her neck.

Nora let out a shaky breath, closing her eyes as she tilted her head upwards. "Why is it that despite everything that has happened, despite everything you've done to wrong me, your touch is the only this world that can truly soothe me?" She asked, leaning forward a bit in order to have her lips brush against his.

Edward looked down at her, her eyes beginning to close as they became close to kissing.

    Knowing it wasn't wise to, Edward sighed in defeat, pulling away before they could kiss.