52

LOVE AND WAR
— 52. Secrets and Lies

      Nora traveled all the way to Northern England on her own within a few days, hoping to come across the armies of men traveling to meet Henry Tudor's forces when they landed in England from Brittany

Soon enough, Nora found them and quickly rode to cut them off. "My lords!" She called out loudly, "My lords!"

The men stopped, many of them giving her a questioning look since they recognized her. "Do you know me?"

"Of course, Your Grace," One of the men replied, bowing his head to her, "You are Nora of Lancaster, the Queen Mother and former Regent of England."

"Then listen to your Queen when I command you!" She shouted at them in a stern tone, much to their surprise, "England is about to be invaded by a mere boy who thinks he can come here with an army filled with criminals and barbarians and take England for himself."

"They say he is the rightful king, not your son," Another man answered, causing Nora to turn to look at him directly.

"My son is the one true king of England whether you want to believe it or not. Henry is here to kill your kin and rob England of what was never his! If you fear God then you will honor your true king, Arthur Plantagenet! And if you will not do it for your King, then do it for me!" She announced in a loud, powerful tone, "The woman you lot spent years wanting as your God Anointed Queen. I am the daughter of Thomas Fitzroy and Katherine Neville. I am descended from more royals than any man or woman alive. My blood runs through my son's veins as does your former King Edward's. He is God's Anointed. No one may say otherwise. Stand with me. Stand with House York and when this battle is over, you will live in peace with your families knowing that you have done your duty to your King, your God, and to the rightful royal family."

The men remained silent, thinking hard on what she was saying. After a long moment, one of the men knelt to Nora, lowing his head. The rest of the men exchanged looks with each other, just before doing the same.

Nora watched closely, gradually beginning to smile happily, which was something she hadn't done in what felt like years.

___

That day, after parting from the men she had reclaimed for House York, Nora had stopped at a stream to allow her horse to rest.

  Hearing the crunching of leaves in the distance, Nora anxiously glanced around. She immediately had a bad feeling about the whole ordeal, leading to her moving closer to her horse.

   She was on the verge of climbing onto her horse when an arrow glided through the air, finding its way into her horse's throat. Blood spilled from the horse's neck, onto Nora before it dropped to the ground, dead.