13

LOVE AND WAR
— 13. Mistakes

    Just an hour later, Nora stood in the privy council chamber, waiting for Edward's arrival

Just an hour later, Nora stood in the privy council chamber, waiting for Edward's arrival. He had gone to question the servant girl on who had paid her to do such a thing, leaving Nora alone in the company of Warwick, the man who despised her more than anyone. Though, the feeling was mutual.

"Is there any word from Edward?" Nora suddenly asked Lord Warwick, knowing it would piss him off.

Warwick scoffed, looking up at Nora with an amused look. "He is using you, you foolish girl. And you're naive enough to believe Edward when he says he loves you—"

"He does love me, you spiteful little bast—" Nora argued in a stern tone, glaring at Warwick as she moved closer to him.

"You are a whore, nothing more. But what else can I expect from the daughter of Thomas Fitzroy and Katherine Neville?" Warwick retorted, standing up from his seat to meet Nora at eye view, "Though I pity whoever has to marry a treacherous whore who was willing to spread her legs the moment the King of England batted eyes at her."

"You are the treacherous whore, for murdering my father and manipulating Edward the way you have been his entire—" Nora began to shout at Lord Warwick as she moved toward her.

As she went to get in his face, Warwick had roughly grabbed her by the chin, forcing her to look him in the eye as he glared at her angrily. "You know nothing, little girl," He growled at her, just before roughly shoving her back.

As Warwick released his grip on her, Nora clutched the side of her face. "You are nothing more than the king's whore. Arthur will make sure you're constantly reminded of that."

"What?" Nora suddenly asked, turning to Lord Warwick with wide eyes.

"Oh, you didn't know?" He asked, beginning to grin widely, "Edward has officially decided to marry you off to Arthur Neville. By the end of this week, you will be living at Bedford Castle, fulfilling the role as the wife of the new Duke of Bedford."

"That is my title—" Nora began to growl at Warwick.

"Not anymore. It belongs to your future husband. It was signed just before the assassination attempt on your life this afternoon. Edward signed the documents, would you like to see them?" Warwick asked calmly, beginning to look through the pile of papers on his desk for the document.

Nora remained silent, glaring hatefully at Lord Warwick. She couldn't believe it. Once more, Edward had betrayed her, just as she was beginning to think all was well with him again.

He was marrying her off.

Would he think the same if he knew she was carrying his child?

___

Hours later, Nora stood in Edward's chambers, waiting for him to return. Soon enough, he did and smiled when he found the woman he loved standing before him.