41

LOVE AND WAR
— 41. High Treason

      Several months later, Edward stood in his office, his face placed in his hands as he listened to Elizabeth complain about George once more and how he was still a threat

He was only half-listening, seeing as though it seemed as though every time she spoke to him about it, she said the same exact as she did the time before.

"Your Grace!" One of the servants suddenly exclaimed as she knocked on the door, causing Edward to turn to look at her while Elizabeth looked annoyed.

"Not now!" Elizabeth snapped at her, but the servant ignored her as she looked toward Edward.

"Your Grace, Duchess Nora's baby is coming early. The midwives say she may not survive it."

Edward immediately rose from his seat, which immediately angered Elizabeth. "You would go and leave this matter unresolved?" She complained in a loud tone.

"Settle it yourself," Edward practically growled at Elizabeth before running out of the room.

Edward felt as though he had never run so fast before as he sprinted to Nora's chambers. Before he even entered the room, he could hear her loud screams. They weren't like the screams that escaped her mouth the other times he had been present during the births of their other children. At that moment, he knew something was definitely wrong.

Edward shoved numerous servants out of the way without meaning to, rushing to his lover's side. He knelt beside her since she was seated in a chair. Her nails were digging in the chair, causing her to bleed.

Edward grabbed one of her hands, allowing her to squeeze that instead of making herself bleed from the tight grip she had on the seat of the wooden chair.

Nora continued to push, screaming in absolute agony. Something was wrong. It never hurt as much as it did at that moment, not even when she gave birth for the first time with Arthur.

"Edward," Nora cried out, turning to look at Edward as she forced herself to keep pushing.

"Shh. It's alright. Everything will be alright. I'm here," Edward assured her and Nora's grip on his hand became tighter.

"Something's wrong. I can feel it," Nora managed to get out as a midwife wiped the sweat from her face.

"The child is almost here, Your Grace. Keep pushing," The midwife insisted and Nora's screams became louder as she continued to push.

"Can't you do something for her?" Edward demanded, turning to glare at the midwives.

A saddened look on her face, one of the midwives shook her head.

Nora screamed out last time, throwing her head back as the baby was finally born.

Edward's eyes widened in disbelief, stunned speechless when he saw that the child was a boy.