Chapter 5

Val's POV

Poppy, Branch, Cooper, Biggie, Smidge, Legsly, Guy Diamond, and I follow King Peppy into a room where he lays out a scroll.

"It's a story as old as time." King Peppy starts to say.

King Peppy opens the scroll and clears his throat.

"In the beginning, there was silence. Until one day, someone made a sound. Our ancestors were so inspired by the sound, they took six strings. And those six strings had the power to control all music. They could play anything. Techno, funk, classical, country, hard rock, and pop. And every kind of music in between. There was something for everyone. It was one big party. But little by little, Trolls became intolerant of each other's music. They fought over what kind of music the strings would play. The elders realized there was but one solution. Each tribe would take a string and go their separate ways. Those six tribes have lived in isolation ever since. Techno, Country, Rock, Classical, Funk, and us, the Pop Trolls." King Peppy explains to us.

"Wow." I say to myself.

"But that is not all. There is said to be a prophecy about the one who has love for all music. The Peacekeeper of music. The prophecy says that the Peacekeeper holds the peace between all trolls and their music. And once the Peacekeeper of all music is found, then everything will be one big party again. But till then, every Troll lives in isolation." King Peppy says afterwards.

Everyone then looks at me.

"Why are you guys looking me like that?" I ask with confusion.

"Val, it appears that the Peacekeeper of all music... is you." King Peppy says to me.

I was surprised to hear this.

"Me? So, that's why I look different from everyone else?" I ask.

King Peppy nods his head.

It was quiet for a while.

"Now Barb's announcement makes sense. She wants to reunite the strings so the Troll World can be one big party again. And so the Peacekeeper of music can keep the peace between us." Poppy says to us.

"Wait, that's all you heard? One big party?" Branch asks.

"Yeah! It's when all the Trolls lived in harmony. And what's more important than living in harmony?" Poppy asks.

"Well, I heard fighting. The strings together leads to fighting." Branch says.

"Exactly, Branch. That's why we need to keep our string safe." King Peppy says as he walks towards a waterfall.

The waterfall clears up and there is a harp with a pink string in it.

Everyone was amazed to see the string.

"Behold! The pop music string." King Peppy says.

He plays the string and the string created a heart of glitter.

"It's beautiful." Poppy says.

"And powerful. Which is why we can't let it fall into the wrong hands." King Peppy says.

"And we won't. Not on my watch. What we need is a plan." Branch says.

"Don't worry. I've been preparing for this day for years... We run." King Peppy says.

"Run?" Poppy asks in confusion.

"And hide." King Peppy adds.

"On it." Branch says before grabbing my arm and running towards the exit of the room.

"But we don't even know what we're running and hiding from." Poppy says to us.

Branch and King Peppy stop running and turn around.

"We're hiding from Barb and all the other different Trolls." King Peppy says to Poppy.

"You're assuming the worst about someone you haven't even met." Poppy says to King Peppy.

"You're not listening to me." King Peppy says.

"You're not listening to me." Poppy says back.

"I'm your father!" King Peppy says.

"And I'm the Queen." Poppy says.

"Uh, father trumps queen. Now, there's no time to debate this. Let's go. Come along, Branch and Val." King Peppy says to me and Branch.

Branch and I follow King Peppy.

"We're all Trolls. Differences don't matter." I hear Poppy say right before we left the room.

I hope nothing bad happens to us.