Chapter Two: Hard-Headed

If you win, you live. If you lose, you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." - Eren Jeager

For the remainder of the 20 minutes I had to spare, I decided to kill time by walking around the grounds to get used to the area. Everything here was completely different than in the underground. I'm happy to not be sleeping in a different place everyday, while I miss the tavern I used to frequent, I had a feeling i'd be okay up here. 

I found a large oak tree to sit underneath. The grass was cool beneath my fingertips and the sun was halfway below the horizon and the sky was a swirl of molten amethyst, sapphire, and ruby, all merging into a final pool of onyx. I wanted to swim in it. I took in a deep inhale of fresh air, a breeze crept up my fingertips and through the rest of my body causing a light shiver. I had almost forgotten how beautiful nature was.

"It's quite chilly out here. Why do you sit alone?" A voice said behind me. I turned my head to face Erwin.

"What are you doing out here eyebrows? You're the commander, why waste your time around the cadets in training?" I asked, turning my gaze  back to the now star filled sky.

I could almost hear his smile. "How was your first day?" He asked, taking a seat in the grass besides me.

"I don't really have an opinion yet."

"I see. Well as I said earlier, my door is always open if you need anything. Feel free to stop by later, I believe Levi and you haven't had a chance to talk or discuss training agenda, correct?" He asked.

"Yeah. I'll stop by later after I'm done helping this one guy with the harness-swing thing."

"It's very nice out tonight don't you agree, y/n?" He changed the subject.

I nodded. "It's definitely relaxing. I never realized how much I missed it, until I got dragged back up here" I said, my gaze not leaving the sky.

"Indeed. I have no doubt you'll find your place here. We were scouting you for a while" he said. I shot him a curious glance before he continued. "We heard about you, all the way up here. We originally planned to arrest you, but instead I found it imperative to have you on our side. It would be a waste if you were locked up, don't you agree? You could even possibly gain a higher rank of Squad leader or Corporal someday down the line if you worked for it. "

The commander looked at me then turned his head to look back at the view.  He stayed there for a few minutes, not saying anything before he decided to get up. My gaze followed him as he did so.

"I must get going now. I have paperwork to fill out and send to the inner walls, I look forward to that drink. I'll see you tonight. Have a pleasant evening." And with that Erwin gave a smile and began his trip back to his office.

A good thirty minutes later, Eren and two other boys came from around the building together. It was much darker now, the moon was at its highest peak. 

It didn't take long for Eren to meet me, even bringing along two others who I hadn't met earlier. "Y/n, this is Reiner Braun and Bertholt Hoover they said they'd help out too. They're really good at this as well" he said, introducing each boy.

The tall dark haired boy named Bertholt gave a shy smiled and rubbed the back of his neck coyly. "Hello, y/n" he was very lanky and tall, he must've been a few inches above six-feet.

My gaze moved to the blonde besides him, He was shorter than Bertholt, but he was much more muscular than his taller companion. He smiled a toothy grin "Hey there gorgeous". He winked. He was certainly less shy, that was for sure. The two were definitely opposites.