Chapter Eighteen: Dead Man Tell No Tales Part 2

Even with our ears covered, the deafening blast of the flare persisted. The ringing lingered in my head like a cruel melody, yet I tried to shake off the disorienting aftermath, determined to focus on matter at hand. "Was that an acoustic round?" Eren asked, still wincing in pain.

Levi completely ignored the question. "Remind me, what is our mission? Is it to simply act on impulse in the heat of the moment? Let me answer that question for you. It's not. This squads mission is to keep this brat over here alive, whatever the cost. Don't forget it" He ordered, glancing back at the squad before facing forward on his horse once more.

"Captain Levi is right. Eren is our top priority, we can't let anything happen to him even if that means sacrifices have to be made to do so." I added.

"We keep pushing forward, on horseback. Is that clear?"

"As a bell, sir!" Petras voice came out cracked. Uncertainty and fear riddled the air in an impenetrable invisible force surrounding us. Petra and I hadn't talked much even in the month prior to today. No matter how close we are or aren't though, she's a member of this squad and she's a pretty damn good one at that.

"But for how long? We can't keep running forever! She's right on top of us as it is. If we don't do something soon-" Eren was cut off as more members from the rear squads kept trying to attack the female titan, only to die in the process not inflicting any sort of damage.

"They keep coming! They're all gonna die unless we turn around and do something!" Eren cried out. He desperately wanted to help, tired of seeing soldiers die for him while he rode away with us.

"Eyes front! Stop lookin behind us" Gunther ordered at Eren.

"Maintain top speed or we're all dead!" I ordered.

"There's one more left! Look if we do something we can save him! Please!" Eren begged.

"Do as your told, Eren! Eyes forward!" Petra engaged in a futile attempt to quiet Eren. Despite this, Eren remained resolute, his pleas echoing through the air as he sought to convince everyone to give in and help.

"How can you all just ignore what's happening back there?! Are you telling me to abandon my comrades? Is that it?!"

"Yes, damnit! Stop whining and do as your captain tells you!" Oluo barked.

"Why are we letting people die? Y/n come on tell them! We need to help them! You're one of the strongest ones here you can do it! I need you on my side! We can save them, y/n please!"

I wanted to help him, I wanted to hold onto my promise of always having his back, but I couldn't disobey Levi. I felt guilty and useless in this moment. I looked back to see Eren putting away his swords, his body trembling as he stared down at his hand.

"Eren! No stop! You're not permitted to take Titan form unless your life is in peril! You swore an oath!" Petra cried.

"Levi!" I said, my eyes pleading for him to say something, anything.

"I wouldn't blame you. Do as your conscious dictates, but Eren listen. You are not inherently evil. Your ability to change doesn't make you a monster. That said, it could be the other way around. How're you supposed to know where to draw the line? Whether you lose control or freely give it up. Maybe it's the same. Look, Eren. We don't agree because our experience brings us to opposing views. That's life. At the end of the day, there's no reason to go against how you see it. The choice is yours. You can trust yourself, or you can trust the people willing to put their lives on the line for you. I don't know which way is better. I never have. In the end you choose what you choose. If afterwards, your regrets are at a minimum, good for you."