Chapter Five: In The Stars

Levi had stopped talking, we sat in awkward silence as I was finishing whatever was left on my plate.

As everyone in the hall continued their meals and general chatting, Shadis abruptly entered the dining hall and began his usual manic yelling.  "Okay, you bunch of useless maggots, lunch is over! I better see you all out there in five minutes. Get off your asses and get moving!" 

"how strong of lungs does someone have to have to yell that much?" I mumbled to myself, In no hurry to run off with the rest of the cadets.

"Come on brat, it's time we get going back to training now as well, Remember, you don't get to slack off." Levi said sternly. He stood up, and began making his way from the table. I followed him, putting away my tray quickly as I did so.

Levi and I began walking the opposite direction of everyone else. "Captain Levi, what is everyone else doing?" I asked.

"Hand to hand combat training"

"Can we do that?" I asked.

Hand to hand combat was always my favorite and I was good at it. Of course the main reason was due to the fact brawling in the underground was the best source of payment. Like in most aspects of the world, you have to fight to survive, whether that be physically or metaphorically. It helps to learn how to fight when you're a women living down there too, it wasn't uncommon for women to get violated, killed, or beaten.

Levi looked at me, his thin eyebrow raised in confusion. "You already excel in hand to hand combat. I think it's more important to work on the things you're not as experienced in before we get back to that."

"But I haven't gotten the chance to go toe to toe with you."

He ignored me.

I gave a dramatic sigh. "I guess humanity's strongest soldier is spooked by a little girl such as I." I theatrically put the back of my hand to my forehead. Levi looked at me a little amused but mainly annoyed.

"Oh well you can't help it, captain" I shrugged.

"You must be very confident in your skills to be so cocky" he sighed, shaking his head like a disappointed parent would when debating whether or not to give their child what they were asking for.

We walked a little further until we reached an empty open field. The grass was yellow and crunchy under my feet. Very little trees were around. The sun was still high in the sky as it wasn't going to set for a few more hours.

Levi stoop opposite to me "Let's see what you got" Levi said coolly and tauntingly.

I got into my stance. The first thing I learned in the underground was when fighting always have a proper stance. It's the most fundamental position that you will ever learn in any fighting style. A proper stance allows for strong, effortless movement and an easy transference of force from body to extremity. There are many variation of fighting techniques, untraditional or not.

Levi got into his fighting stance and just as quickly as he did, he leaped forward, his left hand aimed for my stomach. I quickly turned to the right and grabbed onto his wrist, the idea was to use my knee and slam it into his stomach. Levi didn't allow this to happen, in an unfathomable speed, he managed to dodge and sweep my single grounded leg beneath me.

I let out a grunt as my body hit the ground, I quickly recovered from the fall. This time Levi came from my left side and quickly. I was barely able to stumble out of the way, in time. Levi threw blow after blow. Barely managing to dodge all of them, I noticed that when he swung, his shoulder would hitch, giving me a very short opening. As Levi swung his arm again, I ducked, spinning to the side, I managed to sweep his right foot and use my body mass to send him crashing down.