Chapter Thirty-One: That Old, Familiar Feeling

"Commander, Captain! the Armored! It's coming this way!" A scout shouted from behind us.

Together Erwin and I came to a quick stop on our horses and turned around. Reiner had been throwing titans around like they were stones to be thrown through windows. Reiner had a few titans still on top of him trying to get to him, but his armor was too thick. His titan form began to slowly march towards us. Every time he got a titan off of him, his speed intensified.

"Commander, I don't see Eren and Mikasa anywhere." I looked frantically in every direction, trying to spot my friends.

Reiner removed the last titan from around his body and started running. He was looking for Eren too.

"Erwin. Let me borrow your gear."

Erwin shook his head no. "You won't have enough gas to save anyone and there aren't anymore blades. I'm not going to risk any injury to you."

"But Erwin-"

"That's an order. Stand down." Erwins voice was stern. His angry blue eyes pierced through my soul like a sharp sword.

I let out a frustrated sigh. "Then what the hell do you suggest we do, Commander?"

"Eren is still the main goal. We need to find him and retreat."

Suddenly, all of the titans that had surrounded us turned away and ran off in the same direction at the same time.

"What the hell? Why're they-" 

"Look! Eren and Mikasa!" I pointed straight ahead where Eren was carrying Mikasa on his back as they ran across the fields to us. Another hoard of titans began to attack Reiner on their own. Good, that'll distract him and give us time to get the hell out of here.

Armin rushed over with an unconscious Jean and handed Eren a horse.

"This may be our only window! Soldiers, retreat!" Erwin's voice, a thunderclap in the stillness, shattered any noise with a commanding resonance. It echoed through the air, carrying the weight of authority and urgency. His yell was not just sound; it was a force.

Together all the scouts made our escape. We headed straight back in the direction of the wall.

By the time we got far away from the titans, the sky grew darker, painted blue on blue, one stroke at a time, into deeper and deeper shades of night. I lifted my gaze to admire the sight. I embraced the crisp chill in the air, drawing in a lungful of freshness that invigorated my senses. In that suspended moment, the swift motion of the horse became secondary to the symphony of freedom that enveloped me. The Big and Little Dipper lean towards me, as though on the cusp of pouring out their celestial wonders, while Scorpius gracefully coils its tail, poised for a cosmic dance. 

Erwins POV:

I watched in silence as y/n admired the night sky. She's always enjoyed looking at the stars. It brings me back to the time we spent underneath our tree during her time in the training corps. I still can't believe it's been almost four years since I've met y/n.  I've been charmed by her since the very beginning.

Y/n's features were beautifully illuminated by the moonlight. I would never get enough of this sight. The corners of Y/n's lips curled up into a gentle and warm smile. I'd never seen her smile so peacefully before. My heartbeat began to quicken and all the pain in my arm seemingly melted away. She was breathtaking. I want to look at her all day; everyday for the rest of my life.