Chapter Twenty-Six: Protecting you

"Ymir..." Krista whispered.

The ground shook once more as the tower took another hit from a titan. Krista screamed as she was thrown from the edge. Without hesitation, Reiner and I each grabbed one of her feet. Krista dangled below, letting out frightened gasps of air.

"Good catch Blondie." I praised. Reiner didn't seem to hear me, he stared off blankly; with a look on his face I had never seen before. I couldn't tell if it was shock or fear. "Reiner?"

Instead of helping me pull Krista back to the top of the tower, Reiners face stayed contorted into a sickened expression as he watched Ymir below.

I elbowed Reiner to get his attention.

"Shit, Right."

Reiner and I placed Krista back on the surface with us.

"You okay?" I placed my hand on his arm. Concerned at how shaken he had become so suddenly.

"Yeah." His facial expression hadn't changed. Maybe this is just a normal reaction to Ymir being a shifter? There was no way for me to read Reiners mind and there was nothing I could do other than watch Reiner's scowl intensify.

"Tell me the truth. You have to have been in on all this. Ymir's a Titan. How could you not know?" Reiner angrily questioned Krista, shaking her fragile frame.

"She never told me. We were inseparable. And yet, I had no idea. I mean, how?"

Ymir's Titan let out out a shrill and deafening roar, continuing to massacre the herd of Titans.

Reiner balled his hand into a fist. "Not sure what to think. All this time she's been keeping it under wraps and we never suspected a damn thing."

Connie turned his head to face us and attempted to come to Ymir's defense. "Well, it's possible she didn't know. Eren was caught off guard, he had no clue until he transformed. Then again...Ymir did seem to have a plan."

"Wait a second... are you trying to say that Ymir is a threat?" Frustration, confusion and sadness clouded Kristas features as she yelled at Connie's insinuation.

"Everyone relax. Connie may be on to something... it's one hell of a power to hide, what Ymir does with it is anybody's guess. Is she like Annie and working against us? Or is she like Eren and working with us?" I said, trying my best to analyze the situation. My brain was completely disorganized as I struggled to wrap my head around the whole thing.

"Y/n's right. For all we know she could've been on their side all along." Bertholt said.

We all watched in dismay as our titan comrade struggled to break free from a Titan's grasp. Ymir looked at us letting out a few heavy breathes before releasing her grasp from the stone wall.

"Woah! What is she doing?"

"Oh, come on! You're kidding, right? She's worried about the tower falling down?" Connie exclaimed.

"Exactly. She didn't have to stay. She could've chosen to escape. Nothing is keeping her here. And still... she's fighting. She's risking her life for us. Maybe we should give her some more credit" I said, doing my best to defend Ymir. Sure she's known to be a bitch and sure she's got a fucked up way of showing she cares, but at the end of the day Ymir is still our comrade.

Who are you? Why are you doing this? Why?" Kristas voice was brittle. It seemed as if the blonde was on the verge of tears. To my surprise and everyone else's, Krista propped her small body on top of a large piece of broken stone and stood up.