Chapter Twenty-Four: We May Lose A Few To Save Thousands Part 2

Sasha and I said goodbye. She was tasked with passing along a message to Erwin about the events that have transpired. I on the other hand, had to rendezvous with the other Captains as soon as possible.

"Be safe, y/n." Sasha wrapped her arms around the back of my neck and squeezed me tightly.

"Don't worry about me, I have my gear and the torches your dad gave me. I'll be fine." I reassured her. "I'll see you shortly, Sash."

"I'll make sure to tell Commander Erwin and Captain Levi you said hi, okay?"

I smiled softly, "Sounds good."

Sasha and I parted ways, and with a sense of urgency, I set off swiftly.

No time to waste...

-------------

"Captain Gelgar, Captain Nanaba!" I called out. The two captains looked up from their posts against a few trees. Their faces were barely illuminated by the dim orange light coming from a few torches they had set up. Why is it so dark out here?

"Captain Y/n, glad you could join us" Nanaba greeted.

"Happy to be here. I hope I'm not too late. We ran into a few set backs."

"So, you followed the wall here too, I take it?" Gelgar questioned.

"That's right. I assume you found the breech then?"

Gelgar raised a confused brow. "Huh?"

"We didn't see any irregularities along the western route. Surely you must've seen something in the east?" Nanaba asked.

"No. The walls perfectly intact." I said, visibly confused.

Gelgar and Nanaba looked at eachother in silence, both too nervous to say anything.

A cadet from Nanaba's squad chimed in, breaking the silence. "Well, maybe we just overlooked it?" Her shakey voice squeaked out.

"Not likely. A hole big enough for Titans to get through? No way." I chimed in. "Maybe Captain Hannes found something? He was looking along the wall as well right?" I asked.

"Maybe... I suggest we have another pass then." Gelgar suggested.

Nanaba scowled. "That goes without saying. Trouble is, the horses are on the verge of collapse and so are we. If only we had more light."

"Huh? What's that?"

Suddenly, the clouds moved away from the moon, and our surroundings were bathed in the bright glow of the nighttime sky.

"An old castle?" I questioned. In the distance, atop a hill, stood a old castle. Nanaba suggested heading in that direction to set up camp for the night. Gelgar and I nodded in agreement, and we led the squads towards the ancient structure.

------------

"Well not an ideal place to sleep, but I guess we can make do with it for one night." Gelgar lead us to the stables where we tied our horses up into their stalls.

"Yeah. And the moon's finally out, at least." I said, the moon was up, painting the world silver, making things look just a little more alive.

Erwin... the moon reminds me of all the nights we spent under our tree looking up at the stars. I wonder... what do you think about when you see the moon? Do you think of me too?