Parental lecture

CHAPTER TWO

RUBY

I laid on my bed reading a wattpad story about an arranged marriage. I wonder how it feels to be trapped in a loveless arranged marriage.

Who on earth still does that kind of thing?

"Ruby, Nnwam. Come downstairs,your father and I wants to speak to you." My mom, mrs Amanda Johnson shouts from downstairs.

"Yes mummy, I'm coming right away."

I ran down the stairs to answer them, when I reached, I walked straight to the living room and found my parent sitting, both with a serious expression.

"Nne... Sit down." My dad said.

My dad, Mr Chukwuma Johnson is the chairman of Johnson's hotel and suite. I hardly ever see him this serious.

As the only daughter and child of my parent, I was pampered and well taken care of but I wasn't spoilt.

I recently came back from the states after graduating from Yale university where I studied Business management. My parent made sure I had the best education in life and I happily made good use of it.

"What we want to talk about is very important and it's about your future and the future of the company." Dad continued.

"Ok sir, what is it? I'm all ears."

"Do you know my best friend, Mr Ebuka Chimezie?"

"Yes dad..." I wonder what his friend has to do with me and my future.

I hope it's not what I'm thinking. He's too old and besides he has a wife and a son who was my childhood crush and a certified jerk and asshole.

"Do you know his son, Alex?" Mum asks.

Ok! This is really getting creepy and serious.

"Yes mum..." He's a jerk and an asshole. I wanted to add but refrained from doing so. "Why all this question? What does alex and his dad got to do with me and the company?" I ask hating that jerks name more and more.

"So many things my dear, you're 25 years old already."

Ok. Here comes the parental lecture.

I'm really surprised it's coming late or maybe it's because I've not been around since but now that I'm back, they want to send me to a 'husband' house.

"We want you to get married, you're already of age. Don't you think so?"

"Dad, truthfully I don't think so."

"It doesn't matter what you think dear, most girls your age are already in their husband's house probably having one or two children. Alex my friend's son will be your future husband."

What! Alex? My future husband. That asshole, that jerk.

"I, your mom and his parent already agrees and the good part is that he agrees also."

So, this is what it feels like being forced to get married to someone you probably hate. I really pity Sofia, the girl in the wattpad story I'm presently reading.

It feels like a nightmare. Alex? He agreed to get married to me? Doesn't he see me as his younger sister? This is ridiculous.

"My dear... I love you so much, I'm so worried of the man you'll bring home claiming you love. Most of these men are all gold diggers, they won't love you but your money, they will be after your money, I've been there before. But thankfully my parent also arranged marriage for me and I'm happily married now, I want that for you. I support your dad's decision. Alex is the right man for you."

"Mum! Dad! I can't do this. I don't want to marry Alex. I don't want to marry him. I can find my own future husband. He won't be a gold digger. He will love me and treat me like a queen. Why did you guys decide this without my consent? It my life! My future! I decide how I live!" I screamed and stomped out of the house going where ever my legs takes me.

I remember eight years ago when I was seventeen years old, I had a big crush on Alex but couldn't tell him. One day while we went to a friend's birthday party, A typical teenage party with girls and boys all over the place dancing, drinking, playing and doing all sort of things teenagers aren't meant to do. I called Alex out deciding it was high time to tell him about my feelings.

"Ruby... What is it? Why did you call me outside when I was enjoying the party?"

"I want to tell you something, Alex."

"What do you want to tell me?" He asked drinking the juice that was in the red solo cup.

"I... I..."

"You what Ruby?" He asked getting impatient.

"I... I like you Alex" There, I've said it.

"Ok... I like you too"

"No... I mean, You're the one I like" I say holding his hand and looking straight into his grey eyes.

Gosh! He's so handsome.

But what he said next shocked the hell out of me.

" I like you Ruby, but as a younger sister I never had."

He left me standing and went back to the party.

When I finally came back to my senses and hurting from Alex rejection, I went back to the party and I was shocked for the second time within three minutes.

Alex tongue was dancing in the mouth of my one and only besfriend, Chioma.

I was hurt. It's like an arrow was thrown into my heart. I felt betrayed and I went back home. I cried for days in my room, first for the rejection and second for the betrayal from my friend. She knew I liked Alex, but Instead she went behind my back.

One month later, I heard from my mom that Alex travelled abroad to continue his studies in Harvard University.

I was happy because I didn't know how I will face him after the incident and sad because I'd lost a bestfriend and my crush.

Before I knew it, a new session has started,I resumed school and it was then I realised my ex-bestfriend Chioma didn't attend our school anymore. When the session finished, I graduated and went to Yale to study.

_______________________________________

Please don't forget to press that little star button below before moving to the next chapter.

I love you all.