Playing hard to get right?

CHAPTER THREE

ALEX

Two days after the intense parental lecture, I decided to visit Ruby who was arranged to be my future wife. I’m so eager to see her after all these years and I’m very much aware that she hates me.

I packed my car in her parents mansion, came out and headed straight to the door and knocked expecting her mother to answer but it was a complete opposite.

She’s so beautiful. It seems the states did some magical changes in her, changing her perfectly.

she’s your future wife man. My inner self reminded me.

The look on her face tells me she’s not happy to see me. Pure hatred is shown on her face.

Girl, you gotta get over your hatred over me now. I’m gonna be your husband soon.

I try to start a conversation to remove the awkwardness that’s hanging in the air.

“Hi… Ruby, long time no see.”

She just ignored me and went back inside leaving me staring at her.

Oh. She's playing hard to get right?

I entered into the house, seeing it has changed since the last time I came.

“What do you want?” Ruby’s voice brought me back to the present.

“I want you.”

“What?!”

Alex, way to go man. Just scare her away.

“I mean, I want to talk to you.”

“Go ahead.”

Harsh. This isn’t how I expected it to be and she didn’t even offer me a seat.

“Aren’t you gonna offer me a seat?”

“Seat down and start talking. Time isn’t on my side.”

“At least offer me water or any drink before I start.” I said pissing her more.

She glared at me hard, like really hard. As they always say, if looks could kill, I’ll be six feet under the ground. She left the living room and came back with a chilled bottle water from the refrigerator and sat down back still glaring. I opened the bottle and started drinking the water gulping loudly.

“Did your parent talk to you about us?” I asked her closing the bottle water.

“Us?”

“Yeah us, our arranged marriage.”

I felt embarrassed. Didn’t her parent tell her about our arranged marriage? This is so awkward.

“I was informed about it.” She said looking straight at me as if silently accusing me. “And I also heard you accepted it gratefully. Don’t you see me as your younger sister anymore?”

I knew she would remind me of that dreadful statement I made in the past.

Just tell her the truth bro. My unconscious mind urged but I ignored it. I don't think I can tell her yet.

“That was then Ruby, Eight years ago precisely. Don’t you ever forget that?”

She looked at me and shook her head.

“No.” She finally said.

“This your hatred towards me must stop because I’m going to be your husband soon”

“I never agreed to this marriage. Go look for someone else Alex.”

" Not possible Ruby,better get used to the fact that you will be my wife soon"

She stared at me hard, then she laughed making me wonder what’s she’s thinking.

RUBY

Seeing Alex at my door step looking so handsome in his office attire made my heart beat faster. I can’t believe my heart still beats for him after years of not seeing him. I still remember when the two of us usually play hide and seek in my home but now it’s different. He came for a different thing. To remind me of the dreadful arrangement our parents made. I still hate him. Loathe him. Despise him.

I recall his words. ‘Not possible Ruby,better get used to the fact that you will be my wife soon’

I laughed hard. He’s so stupid to think I’m going to agree to this.

"I have a boyfriend that I love so much and I can’t breakup with him because of you. " I let the message sink into his damn stubborn head. “Better get used to the fact that I won’t be your wife.” I gave him back his word rephrasing it in my way.

About me having a boyfriend, it’s totally not true. I see James as a male friend and nothing more and I made sure I passed the message to him anytime we meet.

James was my secondary school classmate I met at the airport while coming back home and since then we became friends.

I wasn’t ready to have a boyfriend even in school because my heart has always been with Alex but he doesn’t need to know that.

The look on Alex face is so priceless that I almost laughed but I refrained from doing so.

“If you must know Ruby… I also had a girlfriend I loved so much. But for the sake of our parent’s friendship and your father’s company, I forcefully broke up with her and agreed to this. I didn’t gratefully accept it.” He stated with his eyes red with anger.

It hurts. What he said hurts. I want to cry but he must not see me cry.

ALEX

I knew what I said was very harsh but what she told me was way more harsher. I was hurt but couldn’t let her win. She almost had the look of triumph on her face.

I don’t have a girlfriend at all. I’ve been preparing myself for her. For our future and she’s telling me she has a boyfriend she loves. I’ve been preparing for our marriage. I never had any girlfriend. I never made any commitment. But don’t get me wrong, I didn’t exactly live a life of a monk. I’m a full blooded man, I have needs that was satisfied from the different flings I had from different girls who were craving my attention. I gave them what they wanted and they also gave me what I wanted. No strings attached. I never involved my heart because it has been taken away from a particular girl.

Ruby.

Realising I was still in her house, I stormed out without taking a last look on her face. I sighted my car, entered and zoomed off. Our meeting was a total disaster.

I brought out my phone from my pocket and dialed a particular number. Immediately I heard the reciever’s voice, I asked.

“Are you available tonight? Let’s meet at Eko hotel and suite.

_______________________________________

Please don't forget to press that little star button below before moving to the next chapter.

I love you all.