What have I done?

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

RUBY

"Ruby! Ruby! Come downstairs now, the chimezie's will be here soon, let's prepare something for them. " Mom shouted.

"Ok ma, coming right away. " I replied and ran downstairs.

Everything is back to normal, Chioma is off Alex life and our engagement party is what our parents wants to discuss about today after being informed yesterday about it.

"Make cookies while prepare dinner." Mom ordered.

" Yes mom."

I brought out all the ingredient needed to bake cookies when suddenly the doorbell rang. I ran quickly to open the door.

"Dad, you're back. Good evening sir." I greeted.

"Evening my dear, Are they here yet?" He asked while I collected his briefcase.

"Not yet, I and mom were just preparing dinner." As I said that mom appeared and also greeted dad with a peck and asked how his day went. I scurried off to drop his briefcase in his study room not wanting to witness their little romance.

By the time I reached downstairs the coast was clear, I sighed in relief and went back to continue the cookies I was asked to bake.

"Ruby, do you want a big engagement party or a small one?" Mom suddenly threw a surprising question and I gasped because I didn't know when she entered the kitchen.

"Mummy, do I really have a say in this? What if I say I don't want any engagement party?"

" You can't say that, you know this is really important, the engagement party is the first step in bringing both our companies together. Once you're engaged to Alex, it will chase other men away from you and the whole country will know that our companies are gonna be merged then your daddy can retire just like his friend."

" But I can take over the company mom, I don't just understand, why would you guys send me abroad to study business management and yet won't allow me to make use of my knowledge? I can take care of the company and dad can retire."

" Yes I know, I trust you dear and just so you know you are the real owner of the company but you need experience to run it before you can be able to fully run the company, it might take some years to come, this is the easiest way." Mom tried persuading me so I would try to understand them.

" It seems you already have it planned, I have no say in this matter even though I'm the one that will be trapped in the marriage." I muttered angrily.

" What is it you don't like about Alex? I remember the last meeting you both agreed to get married."

"I didn't say I don't like him mom." I love him with all my heart but I don't want to accept it.

" Good because Alex is the best man for you, he's a perfect gentleman, he's smart, handsome , independent,  humble, respectful, diligent and most importantly he can take care of both you and the companies when you get married."

" Yes ma." I kept quiet after that statement, I don't want to drag the argument knowing mom we could argue like this the whole day. I brought out the cookies from the oven and helped mom set the table for dinner.

I heard the sound of cars and opening of gate then the door bell rang again. They are here.

ALEX

The moment dad told me that we were going to Ruby's house to discuss the engagement party, I was so estastic that I can finally meet her. Throughout this week, I've been trying to contact her but she refuses to pick up her call, she can't run away from me this time.

I took my car with me because I have other plans for Ruby and I after the family meeting. I reached the gate of her house and horned,  the gateman opened the gate, I entered and parked the car.

"Musa!" I called referring to the gateman.

" Yes sir." He answered in his funny hausa accent.

" Are my parents in?" I asked while I came out of my car.

" No sir, they never reach here."

" Okay, you can go back to your post." I dismissed him. The moment I was about to press their door bell I heard the sound of a car horning vigorously at the gate. Musa ran to open it and in came dad's car. He came out together with mom while the driver parked the car.

"Son, you're here early. Good job." Dad said while tapping me at my shoulder.

" Eager to see your future bride." Mom teased and I smiled.

I rang the doorbell and my breath hitched the moment the door was opened. She was really beautiful. She greeted my parents, who acknowledged her and also greeted me refusing to look at me while doing so. Her mom came out and welcomed us into their beautifully furnished mansion. As usual the dads did their usual hugs smiling brightly as if they are high school boys seeing themselves after a long summer break. I greeted her parents who acknowledged me also.

"Let's eat before we discuss the reason we are gathered here." Mrs Amanda said and we all went to dinning room to eat the sumptuous dinner that was prepared.

It was as if it was planned by our parents but I was seated beside Ruby who was hell bent on ignoring me.

What have I done? Why is Ruby ignoring me? I don't know what's wrong with her but I'll make sure by the end of today we must talk. I know she has a lot of questions she would love to ask and I'll make sure I answer all the questions. I held her hands and squeezed it lightly, she tried to free her hand from mine but I held it tightly and winked at her when our eyes met which caused a lot of attention, our parents smiling brightly at us. He dad blessed the food and we all dined.

_______________________________________

Please don't forget to press that little star button below before moving to the next chapter.

I love you all.