Engagement party

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

RUBY

Saturday came faster than I expected, the day everyone has been waiting for, the engagement party was being held at Dad's hotel. I stood in front of the mirror admiring myself, the blue gown which Mrs. Chineye chose for me when we all went shopping, it was very splendid and fitted me perfectly, it's about hugging gown that has a slut that reached my mid thigh and a v-neck shape that showed a little of my cleavage, I feel beautiful and confident in it. There was a knock on the door which interrupted my thoughts.

"Come in." I told the person at the other side of the door but it turned out to be the two people I love the most. My mum and Mrs chineye entered staring adoringly at me.

"Oh my gosh, you look so beautiful." Mum praised.

"The dress fits you so well as if it was specially made for you." Mrs. Chineye complemented.

"Thank you mums."

"I'm not a fashion blogger for nothing." Mrs. Chineye jokingly bragged.

"I'm still better than you, you know." Mum tells her which everyone knows it's a total lie.

"Indeed Amanda. Let's get going."

We all went outside my hotel room going straight to the hall where the party was going to take place. Every body in our family were present, our relatives, Alex's relatives and some family friends but someone in particular caught my eyes. Oh! How I've missed her.

"Grandma!" I screamed and walked fast to where she was and hugged her not caring about the looks I was getting. "I miss you Grandma."

"Oh my child! I miss you too, how have you been?" Grandma asked as we broke the hug.

"I should be asking you that Grandma but I'm fine though, how about you? I haven't heard from you for a long period of time."

"I'm fine, I've been managing ever since you kids stopped visiting me claiming you were grown children." Grandma said referring to Alex and I.

"I promise to come visit Grandma, I promise."

"You kids better and also come with my great-grandchildren, okay?"

"What?! You too grandma!" Alex exclaimed. I didn't even know when he arrived but he looked so handsome in his black Armani suit.

"It's what you kids promised me, don't you remember?"

"When?" I asked in shock.

"When grandma, I can't remember promising something like that."

"You were still babies then, but just know a promise is a promise and it needs to be fulfilled, this engagement is step one, I'll leave you two now." Grandma said and left leaving me with Alex. I watched her as she went to meet her son, Alex's dad. I never really had a grandma I can call my own because my parent's parent died before I came to this world but thanks to Alex's grandma, I get to say those words and feel the love of a grandmother.

Speaking of Alex, I looked at him noticing he was checking me out.

"Like what you see?" I asked him, I think this dress gave me a new found confidence.

"No, I love it." He replied staring at me like I'm the only beautiful person he had ever seen. I could feel my cheeks burning with an unknown heat.

"Thanks." I muttered feeling shy, it was as if my new found confidence has completely varnished.

"Ladies and gentle men, may you take your seats for we are now to start the program." The host announced on the stage; Alex held his hands out to me, I placed my hands on his and he led me to a table where the rest of our families were seated. He brought out a chair for me to sit on and also brought out his, we sat in a comfortable silence before hearing the host again but this time, he introduced Mr. Ebuka on the stage. He delivered a very good speech, he told the audience how proud was of his son who always exceeded his expectation.

"Everyone, I'm now giving the floor to my son's the Ceo of the mezie's construction and soon to be the Ceo of this hotel, Alex Chimezie." Mr. Ebuka finished and everyone applauded as Alex went straight to his dad collecting the mic from him and they both had a father-son hug.

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, I'm Alex Chimezie and I'm honored to be in your valued presence, tonight, with your attendance,Nim going to introduce someone special to me, a woman who is so kindhearted, caring and loving. Since this lady is not used to the limelight and she has kept her silence in he sidelines, I feel like it's now the right time to reveal her to all of you." He smiled as his eyes met mine, my heart was beating frantically as he said; "I'd like to introduce to you, my fiancee, my future bride, My love, Ruby Johnson."

The moment I heard my name from his mouth, the butterfly in my stomach gave birth to more and it was dancing in rhythm with my heart, I saw flashes of camera lights. I knew it was my engagement party but I never knew he would introduce me like this, the introduction felt so heartwarming like it was really from his heart.

I stood up not expecting what had just happened, what did he do again? Did I just hear him introduce me to everyone as his love? And I was very special to him? Then there was flashes of camera lights again and this time it was in my direction. Tomorrow, I'd definitely see my face on the front page of the newspaper.

"C'mon go to him." Mum urged and before I could say something, Alex gripped me in the waist. When did he reach here?

"Let's make the engagement official now." He slipped a very beautiful diamond ring in my middle finger.

"It's beautiful." I said, he stared at me then captured my mouth with his. I shivered, this was my first kiss and I very much like it, it was slow and sensual. I could hear the applaud of the crowd and the flashing of camera lights.

Oh no! I was doomed tonight.

_______________________________________

Please don't forget to press that little star button below before moving to the next chapter.

I love you all.