A date this saturday

CHAPTER SIX

RUBY

I heard the horn of a car indicating that he was here. I sighed.

He looked handsome in his checkered T-shirt and a regular jean while I wore a simple flowered flair gown.

It was three weeks after our argument since I last saw him.

*
*
*

ALEX

I’m seated in my family’s dinning room awaiting dinner because my parents has been pestering me to come visit them today. I decided to go because the last time I was here was about three weeks two days ago.

“Son, it’s good to see you here, it shows you haven’t neglected us.” Dad says coming down the stairs to seat with me in the dinning room. He sat down in his usual seat.

“For God’s sake dad, I can’t forget you guys, you’re my parents.”

“Good to know that because the last time you came here was when we had the talk. We thought you were angrywith us about the decision we forced you to make.”

“No dad, I made the decision myself. You guys Shouldn’t feel guilty.” I assured them.

“Ehen… About that son, have you met Ruby recently?”

“Yes dad”

“Did she take it good?”

Oh no! What am I going to tell him? That she didn’t take it good which made our last meeting to be a disaster? No way! There has to be a way out.

“Yes dad, we even have a date next tomorrow which is saturday.” I lied smoothly.

“Good, Good, everything is going well. I like it.”

“Oh son, you have a date with Ruby, I’m really happy for you.” Mum said coming out of the kitchen With a dish.

“Yes mum.” I lied again hoping it becomes the truth when I text her today. I’d give her friday to decide. I just hope she will accept so they won’t know I lied about our date.

I quickly collected the dish from mum and dropped it on the dinning table while she went back to the kitchen to probably bring the rest of the food. While mom came back and everyone is sitted in the family dinning room. I was told to bless the food and we dined.

*
*
*

RUBY

The restaurant was elegant and yet simple. I liked this kind of design and arrangement. A month ago, I would have never imagined to be sitted in a beautiful restaurant with Alex for a date.

Two days ago, Alex sent me a message.

Ruby, I’m sorry about our last encounter which was a disaster. Please let’s put our indifferences aside and start afresh. Let’s go on a date this Saturday.

I didn’t really agree at first but thanks to my mum who mistakenly saw the message when I left it in the dining table. She practically forced me to go but I’m grateful about that.

“How are you Ruby?” Alex asked driving me out of my thoughts.

“I’m fine you?”

“Good.”

The waitress came to ask for our order giving us the menu book each.

“Get us jollof rice with chicken and salad and a bottle of red wine.” He told the waitress who was giving him a flirtatious smile.

Ugh! She looked at me.

“Would you like anything else miss?” She says glaring and putting on a fake smile.

“No.” I simply said wondering how someone can glare and smile at the same time. Immediately the flirtatious waitress’s left. I turned to him.

“You still remember my best food huh?” I said remembering how he ordered our food.

“Quite well, unless you’ve changed it.”

“Not at all.”

“Like I said before I’m really sorry about our last meeting. Let’s get to know one another, I’ll start. I’m Chimezie Alex, presently the CEO of Mezie’s construction and I’m honoured to be your date.” He said smiling. I smiled back. He really wants us to start again.

"I’m Ruby Johnson, daughter of Johnson who is the founder of Johnson’s hotel and suite. Nice meeting you."

“Here’s your order.” The flirtatious waitress said dropping it on our table while glaring at me again as if I stole her date.

She left at last and we started eating our delicious meal while stealing glances at each other and smiling when our eyes met.

It’s good to have the Alex I fell for eight years ago back. What could go wrong?

ALEX

Having Ruby by my side is so overwhelming and satisfying. I love this feeling. After ordering our food from the waitress who was openly flirting with me, we started eating our food while stealing glances at each other. When we were done another waitress this time came to clear our table. Thank God this one wasn’t interested in flirting with me.
When she left, we dived into discussion, discussing about random things and getting to know more about ourselves.

Our hearty discussion was cut short when I noticed Ruby’s eyes widened looking behind me. I turned back to see what must have caused her sudden expression. Behold standing behind me was no other intruder than her.

“Chioma?” Ruby called really surprised seeing her here.

“Yes it’s me Ruby.” Chioma replied.

“What do you want?” I asked her because she just stood there, hands akimbo and looking like someone that is on a mission.

I looked at Ruby and saw her expression has changed to something I can’t picture. I turned back to our distraction that seemed to have destroyed our date. Just the mare sight of her is giving me a bad feeling.

“I want to speak to you.” She says. The look on her face daring me to object. I felt a hand on my arm. I traced it’s owner and realised it was Ruby’s. Her expression was one that says ‘what did she want to speak to you about?’. I just shrugged because I also don’t know what the little devil has to say.

“What do you want to speak to me about?” I asked the question bugging I and Ruby.

“let’s go talk in private.” She said and I scoffed.

“In private? Anything you have to say, you can say it here and now.”

" You’re sure?"

" Yeah, I’m sure." I said that because I don’t want any secrets to come between I and Ruby as we’re finally starting a better relationship. "What is it?” I asked impatiently so our bad vibe can say what she has to say. I’m very sure what Chioma wants to talk about is something related to work. I’m positive but I guessed I was wrong when I heard the most dreadful eleven lettered words that would change my life forever.

“I am pregnant.”

_______________________________________

Please don't forget to press that little star button below before moving to the next chapter.

I love you all.