Chapter 1

"Crystal! A bird just pooped on the balcony window!!" My stepmother called.

I put down my book "The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight".

I got up and shuffled upstairs to my stepmother's room.

I am the one who does the cleaning in this house. She is too "fabulous" to do anything herself she claims.

"Hurry, Crystal! It is dripping!"

"TMI!" I yelled back.

I grabbed the rag hanging on the railing and walked into her huge room.

It was a mess. I would be cleaning that later too.

She was putting in diamond stud earrings and was wearing a long purple velvet evening gown.

"What took you so long! I have company coming over and the kitchen isn't even clean yet!" She scolded.

"I am sorry. I'll get it." I said sadly.

I walked over to the balcony, stepping over makeup, jewelry, and lingerie as I went.

I opened the door and the cool evening air washed over me. I saw the bird poop immediately. Purple ooze dripping down the window. I laughed and started wiping.

While I was cleaning, a blue jay came over and sat on the balcony railing.

I reached over and it hopped on my finger.

"Did you do this little guy?" I giggled.

"I hear talking and not cleaning!" She yelled through the door.

The bird flew away.

I cleaned the rest of the window and went down to the kitchen.

There were pots and pans on the counter, burn marks, smudges of unknown substances, mom must've tried to cook earlier.

I shook my head and started tidying up. I set out the food I made earlier on the dining room table.

I was almost done when the doorbell rang.

"Crystal! Don't answer! Come upstairs! I don't want them to see you!"

I sighed. Mother always had dinner guests, and I was never allowed to show my face when they came. I grabbed my book off the couch and ran up the stairs.

I passed her on the way up the stairs and she didn't say anything to me.

I sighed. An average day. My stepmother doesn't respect what I do for her. I don't know what she would do without me.

I jumped on my bed and opened my book. Finally some peace and quiet. I had been hustling and bustling all day to prepare for the party that I don't get to go to.

I was so tired from the busy cleaning of the day, that I fell asleep at seven o'clock.

***

"Snow! Over here!"

"No, over here!"

"You know you want to sit with us!"

Everybody was yelling for me to join them. I smiled. At least I got attention here.

I ended up sitting with my best friend, Beatrice.

"OMG, Snow! Did you see Chris call you over to your table! I can't believe you ditched him for me!"

She ate a french fry.

"I'm not into him." I said.

"He is the hottest guy in the grade!"

"Eh, he's ok."

"You know what bothers me, you are obsessed with love and romance, yet you don't date anybody."

"That is because I am obsessed with real love. Not some high school date."

I stole one of her french fries.

She rolled her eyes.

"It's way more fun to find fake love."

I laughed.

Now, a small group of people were gathering around our table. Everybody was talking to me.

The bell rang, signaling the end of lunch.

I got up and started to walk to English.

I was halfway there when somebody bumped into me and almost knocked me over.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

I turned and saw a tall boy with light brown hair and was quite handsome.

But the moment I saw his eyes, his cat green eyes. Something came over me. A feeling of happiness and lightness came over me. I didn't know what that feeling was.

"It's ok." I smiled.

I had never seen him at school before. He must've been new.

I hurried off to english.

The entire class I was day dreaming about him. I don't know why but he was just so....... amazing.

"Crystal?"

Everybody was staring at me.

"Yes?"

"Can you please tell us your thoughts on Moby Dick?"

The rest of the class was a blur. I dozed off again and thought about the boy.

Before I knew it, it was the end of the day and I went home.

When I got there, I was not surprised to see the mess of the night before waiting for me.

On the counter there was a note from my step mother,

'Stopping at a friend's, please clean this mess. You forgot to clean my room last night! One more slip and you will be grounded.

Love,
Mommy.

I could feel so much love in that note. I cleaned mother's room, the party mess in the kitchen, dining room, and living room, plus a complimentary bathroom cleaning.

If my friends saw me now, I am sure nobody would be shouting my name at lunch.

I was finished scrubbing the toilet when I heard the doorbell ring.

Mom usually has a key so I had no idea who was there.

I walked downstairs and opened the door.

Before me stood a boy with light brown hair and cat green eyes.

***

Ok, I just need to explain some things.

1: That was a short and uneventful chapter but I promise you it will get better. That is what I said about Ariel and I kept my promise.

2: On Pinterest and almost everywhere, it says Snow White's Prince's name is Ferdinand, well that's not true. My cousin and I did some research and found that it was confirmed by a Disney historian that Snow White's prince did not have a name. So his name will not be Ferdinand.

Thank you again for reading!!

-RavenclawMaven1198