Chapter 13

All I remember was black after I opened the door. It seemed like black for eternity. Like I was never going to wake up. I thought the door was life again. But I was wrong. I could've stayed with my mother, but I had to think of myself and leave.

And now, I am stuck with black. Nothing. I can't feel my emotions, all I feel is drowsiness.

"She should be waking up soon." An unfamiliar voice said.

The blackness got a little lighter, but it was still black. The black turned into a dark gray, then a lighter gray. What was happening? I thought I was dead for good. Finally, the gray turned into a bright white.

I could feel my eyes. I opened them and was staring up at bright white lamplight.

I heard murmurs around the room. I groaned and propped myself up slightly on my shoulders.

I blinked and when I opened my eyes Peter was leaning over me.

"Peter." I croaked.

"I'm right here." He said back.

He leaned over and hugged me. I sat up and hugged him back.

"What happened?" I asked him.

He pulled away.

"I was hoping you could tell us." He said

I explained to him everything I could remember, about Heather, about my mother.

"Now tell me what happened." I said again sternly.

Peter explained to me how I had been poisoned.

"Poison? How did I not know?" I asked.

"Don't worry, Snow, we will find who did this." Sam said.

I smiled.

"I think I already know who did it." I bit my lip and told them about how Heather's voice sounded like my stepmother's.

George rushed out of the room to call the police. The rest of the boys followed behind him except Peter.

"So why were you at a fraternity?" He asked.

I told him about the robbery and the fact that I had nowhere to stay.

"You could've stayed with me and my family." He said.

"I didn't trust anyone at this point." I said back.

He held my hand and we sat there for a while, staring at each other.

Eventually, I fell asleep.

"Snow?" Peter was gently stroking my hair.

I groaned. My stomach hurt from the poison in my system.

"Snow, there are officers here to talk to you."

I jerked up and saw a police officer and two detectives standing in the doorway.

They came in and introduced themselves, asked a lot of questions, and I answered them. Then, they left and I fell asleep again.

***

I rifled through my purse to find my phone.

I walked inside and closed the door. I thought the thieves has left, but a man dressed in black with a ski mask walked around the corner and saw me.

"Found her!" He yelled.

Two other men came around the corner with two big knives in their hand.

"Please! I promise I won't tell!" I pleaded.

I started crying.

One of the men put a knife up to my throat.

"Nighty night, Snow." He said.

And then I felt a sharp, hot pain go through my throat. I tried to say something but all that came out of my mouth was blood. I reached up to my neck and blood covered my hands.

I fell to the ground.

When I opened my eyes I was on the fraternity couch. The doorbell rang.

I got up and looked through the peephole. It was a young woman with long black hair and a makeup box.

"Avon." She said.

"We don't need any thank you." I said through the door.

"Somebody ordered it so...."

"Leave it on the porch."

"K."

She set the box down on the porch and left. After she was gone, I opened the door and brought the box in.

The label said,

To: Crystal

From: Sigma Phi Epsilon (George, Mark, Nat, Rocky, Sam, Davis, Andy)

We thought you needed some makeup :)

I did need some makeup. Lipstick to be exact.

I opened the box and looked inside. There was a full makeup kit filled with eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush, and everything in between.

I saw the rosy lipstick and took it out. I pulled off the cap and applied a light layer of it over my lips.

"Nighty night, Snow." I turned and saw the woman with black hair leaning on the counter.

My lips were burning. I fell to my knees and closed my eyes.

When I opened them again, I was surrounded by black. Nothing but black. I couldn't see, feel, touch, just black.

"She should be waking up soon." An unfamiliar voice said.

It was still black. All around me. Nothing.Nothing scares me. I tried to scream but nothing came out. Not even a whisper. I wanted to open my eyes and see something anything. But nothing happened. It felt like years had passed. Just there in black.

I got up and screamed. I was back in the dimly lit hospital room. I started crying. Peter jerked up in the chair next to my bed.

He put a comforting arm around me.

"Shhhh. It's ok. It's just a dream." He said softly.

I sobbed into his shirt. It wasn't real I told myself.

Peter rubbed my back. We sat like that for a while, me crying and him rubbing me.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

I tried to nod.

I laid back down and tried to sleep, but I couldn't. Thoughts were racing through my head.

What if the thief didn't let me go? What if this man did kill me? What if I did open the package? Was there really something deadly in it?

Then other questions arose in my mind.

What if I didn't open our front door? What if I went to Bea's house? What would happen then?

I didn't sleep the entire night. I just thought. I thought about the alternatives to this mess I was in.

A nurse came in at eight with breakfast. Mushy oatmeal, a yellow orange, and milk.

She walked out and I pushed the food into the trash.

Peter woke up fifteen minutes later.

"Hi." I said.

"Hey." He said back.

He could see the redness in my tired eyes, I could tell.

"Did you sleep last night?" He asked me.

I shook my head.

He kissed me. For the first time on the lips since the movie.

I'm sure my breath smelled like dead rats, I hadn't brushed my teeth in days. The poison probably doesn't taste very well either.

I pulled away softly.

"Thank you." I whispered softly.