Chapter 2

"Hi, I'm Peter." He said.

I shook his hand.

"I'm Snow." I said back.

"My family and I just moved here from California and I was just trying to familiarize myself with the population of Baltimore." He laughed.

Even his laugh was cute.

"I know what you're saying."

I could feel myself blushing.

He kept smiling his beautiful smile.

"Well, I'll see you around." He said.

"Bye."

I closed the door and slid to the ground.

I put my head in my hands and realized I was wearing blue rubber gloves, an apron, and there was a toilet scrubber in my hand.

I must've looked like the maid.

I heard the lock clicking behind me and I quickly got up.

"Oh stop it, James." My stepmother said walking in with a man I had never seen before.

"No, you are the fairest woman I have ever seen. "

He was younger, probably in his twenties. Compared to my stepmother who was in her mid fifties. He was good looking, dark blond hair, blue eyes.

He turned and saw me standing by the stairs.

"Well who is this fair maiden?"

He kissed my gloved hand.

"Uh, well, she is the maid."

My stepmother doesn't want to let her friends know that she has a daughter. It makes her look old apparently.

"She looks quite young to be a maid." He said.

"She is from France. She ran away from her parents when she was fourteen and came to work for me. I was the dear woman who gave her work."

I nodded.

He shrugged, "Well, you are a dear woman."

They kissed. I was disgusted.

I ran upstairs and took off the apron, gloves, and put away the toilet scrubber. I looked a lot better now.

I heard the door close downstairs. They must've left again.

"Crystal!" My stepmother yelled.

I groaned and ran down the stairs.

"Yes?"

"Why were you here?!"

"I came home from school and was cleaning like I usually do." I explained.

"When you hear me come in the door, you go to your room! How dare you embarrass me like that!" She scolded.

"I'm sorry, I didn't have enough time." I started tearing up. I don't like getting yelled at for nothing.

"Don't cry! You should know this! You are crying over nothing! Crying only made people weak! You are weak!"

I couldn't help it, I screamed at her, "I work hard all day and night cleaning up your messes! And you sit around and make more! I never get a thank you or some sort of recognition for what I do for you repeatedly! At least you could tell people I'm your daughter! Why are you so ashamed of me?! If I just get in your way, I will leave. I will leave you to clean up your own dang messes!"

I stomped upstairs and cried. I wasn't kidding. I will leave. I would rather live in a cardboard box without her than a mansion with her.

I heard my door creak open. I looked up and saw her standing over me. A scowl on her face. Her hair was out of its perfect bun and sticking up everywhere.