Chapter 19

"I am going to be completely honest with you guys. I have never seen you before and don't know why you came to this old crab's funeral. You are probably her party friends." I started.

"But, I have gone deep into my heart to find the pros of her life. My parents both died when I was very young. She was the only family I had. She could've left me, but she didn't. I just realized that she did take care of me. She was a parent. And although we did have our flaws she kept going on, making small sacrifices so I could have a life. I am not saying she was the best parent in the entire universe, but she was a parent. I was never sure if she did love me, but I know that there is a part of me that loved her. I know she can love. She is a human being who lives and dies just like all of us. She loves, and hates. She feels sad, and happy. Even if some people disliked her, she would remember that she was who she was and decided who she wanted to be. I don't want to make this all about me, because it's not. It's celebrating the life of a person. Whether it was good or bad. We have to remember that she was put here for a reason. For better or for worse. She has impacted our lives in either good, or bad ways that all turn out good in the end because it makes who we are. In each and every one of us, there is purpose, there is life. She had made my life for me. She has made me the popular one at school. Her death has allowed me to move in with my best friend. Everything happens for a reason. And there is always a reason."

I sat back down. I'm not sure if that was the message I was supposed to pass. The only funeral I have ever been to was my father's when I was five and I remember nothing. I really hope no one gets mad at me.

One at first. Then two. Then a few more. There was a light clapping from the crowd. I took a deep breath. I just had to speak the truth.

The priest said a few more things and we could leave.

There was almost nobody at the foster home because everyone was at school.

I went up to my bedroom to finish packing. I was moving in tomorrow.

Peter texted me.

How was the funeral?

Better than I expected

Good XOXO.

Then, I heard sirens and screaming outside.

I peeked out the window and saw a man running down the alley.

"Police! Stop! Put your hands up!"

The man turned slowly and put his hands up. His sandy blond hair waved just the right way. He was wearing a suit and dress shoes.

The police were inching in on James.

He saw me in the window and put his arms down.

"Put your hands up!" The police yelled again.

He refused.

James put his arm up and pointed to me. He mouthed "For you".

I was confused. Why was he doing this?

Then, he grabbed a knife out of his pocket and slit his throat.

I turned away once I knew what he was doing. When I turned back around, I saw him lying on the ground, his golden hair wet with blood.

I laid down on my bed and fell asleep.