Chapter 16

I was breathing heavy from the eight laps Mr. Jewett made us run.

I hadn't run since my laps around the frat house.

He blew his whistle and we went into the locker rooms. Again, I was bombarded with questions. I tried to avoid everyone but discovered it was inescapable.

Finally, the bell rang and I walked to lunch. A few boys offered to carry my lunch tray, but I declined. Peter nudged in the line next to me and put his arm around my waist.

We sat down at Bea's table and there was already people sharing seats and pulling over chairs when we got there.

If I thought I was popular before, I just solved world peace.

I hugged Bea. She hugged me back.

"Are you ok?" She asked.

"Better than a dog in a squirrel park." I smiled.

We sat back down and started eating. Once again, I was bombarded with questions. I buried my head in my hands.

"Guys, stop. It's none of your business." Peter defended me.

I don't know how I could kill him in a dream.

"So who are you living with?" Bea asked while poking at her salad.

"Foster care." I groaned.

"No! I won't accept that! What about your other family?!" She yelled.

"Out of state." I mumbled.

"Foster care?" She asked again.

I nodded.

"I know this is going to sound crazy but, can I adopt you?" She asked.

I thought about it. It was ingenious! I don't know why I didn't think of it before! They would definitely pass inspection. I already thought of the Richards as family anyway.

"Bea, you are a genius." I said.

"I am?" She said.

I explained to her what the Child Protective Services lady said.

We got up and jumped up and down.

"Sisters!" We screeched.

***

"Hey babe." Boys were whistling when I walked by.

Sadly, I couldn't stay with Beatrice until she was inspected and a bunch of paperwork was filled out.

The foster home was on the bad side of town and the closest bus stop from school was two blocks away. Peter couldn't drive me home because he had basketball practice.

Boys were wooing over me. It was really annoying. I don't know what would be worse, being ugly or being pretty.

I opened the front door at the foster home and walked up to my small bedroom. A few girls were in there doing homework. I plopped on my bed and texted Peter.

At every break he had in practice he texted me. He wanted to make sure I was never alone.

I couldn't ask for anything better in a guy.

The rest of the day was boring and long.

The next morning, one of the caretakers called me downstairs before I left for school.

"Crystal, I want to let you know that your stepmother's funeral is in a few days. The funeral planner wants you to say a little something." She said.

I was nervous. I had mixed emotions on the whole thing. I don't know if I could say anything nice about her.

"I will have to think about that." I pressed my lips together.

"Just let us know by tomorrow, ok?"

I rode the bus to school. When I got there, Peter put his arm around my waist and kissed me.

We pulled away and I asked "What was that for?" I smiled.

"I don't want any guys to get any ideas." He smiled back.

I guess his reason was legit. But if it meant he would kiss me more, I am happy with the idea.

We walked into science, hand in hand.

I sat down and he kissed my cheek. I don't know why he was acting like this.

The bell rang.

"Ok class. Let's all remember this is earth science, not chemistry." Mr. Greenway stared at me and Peter. The whole class laughed.

We started taking notes and every once and a while he would draw hearts on my notebook.

I would smile.

He is acting really weird.

At lunch, he kissed me a few other times.

We got to the table before Bea did so I had to ask him, "Ok, what is the real reason you are acting like this?"

He stood up from his chair and stood on the table.

"Peter, what are you doing?" I asked.

He cupped his hands around his mouth, "Can I have everyone's attention please?!" He yelled as loud as he could.

Oh dear Lord.

Eventually everyone quieted down.

"As you all know, the spring semi formal is coming up and it is guys ask girls." He yelled again.

I was really scared now.

"And I would like to have the honor of having Crystal White as my date."

He looked down at me, his green eyes glistening in the dim light.

Murmurs spread throughout the cafeteria.

Peter motioned for me to stand up. I really wish I didn't ask.

I stood up.

He kneeled on the table.

"So whaddya say?" He asked.

"You didn't have to ask." I leaned over and kissed him.

He put his arms around me.

The entire cafeteria clapped.

I pulled away.

"Did you really have to do it like that?" I smiled.

"I know you're hard to please." He smiled.

I poked his chest and laughed.

He climbed off of the table and sat down next to me.

Bea sat down across from us.

"What did I miss?" She asked.

We laughed and ate our lunch.