Chapter 17

The rest of the day was a blur. Just me daydreaming about what I would wear to semi formal.

I skipped home and ignored all of the boys' comments.

When I walked in the door, the woman from Child Protection Services was standing, waiting for me.

"Good news. The Richards family adopted you." She said.

This was truly the best day of my life.

I jumped up and down and hugged the woman.

She was shocked and hugged me back.

I ran upstairs and gathered my things as fast as I could and ran downstairs.

"Slow down there." She said.

I stopped.

"You aren't moving in with them just yet. There is a bit more paperwork. Two days, then you can move in."

A small delay but it's ok.

I went to the caretaker and told her I would say the speech. She had nobody else to speak on her behalf except me and I can't hold a grudge forever.

I walked back upstairs calmly and started to write my speech. It was going to be very hard. It took me almost three hours just to think of nice things to put in there.

Finally, after four hours, it was done. I read it over and was satisfied.

I fell asleep and woke up the next morning with the same happiness that I had the day before.

I walked downstairs and grabbed a power bar from the cabinet and noticed the news that was on.

There was a picture of James on the screen and the headline was "Dangerous Prisoner Escaped: James Hunter

Everybody in the kitchen looked at me. I walked out with my head low. I made it to the bus stop ok without anyone looking at me skeptically.

When I got to school everything was normal. Except maybe the jealous stares Peter and I got from the boys and girls who wanted to go with us.

At lunch, another boy stood on the table and asked somebody out just as Peter did.

"Basic." He said under his breath.

I laughed and kissed him on the cheek.

Bea and I went over my room arrangements and "rules" of her house such as don't eat all of the Oreos except one because her dad gets really excited when he sees the Oreos still there. Her family decided I would stay in the spare room next to Bea's. She was already carving a peephole in the walls between our rooms.

After lunch, the day went by very slow, my anticipation for packing up taking over. Finally, the last bell rang and I skipped outside.

I rode the bus home and was walking my usual route on Gwen Street. Gwen street was a dangerous road. There were dark alleys and drug dealers that covered the area. This part of town I was sure to have my phone in my hand.

I was walking past one of the alleys when I was yanked from behind.

They put their large, dirty hand over my mouth and I let out a soft scream.

"I am being mugged." I thought.

But then, they didn't go for my bag.

I was whipped around so I could face my captor.

There, standing in the dim light of the alley, his blonde hair matted down and stubble growing on his beautiful face, was James Hunter.