Raven beyond the wall

"It's not possible."

Following Maester Luwin around, Ylina hoped that she could get something out of the man. She had been looking everywhere about anything anyone could have ever written about a raven of three eyes. She looked in every book they had on the library of the Castle. She looked on the ones written in the common tongue and she had even gone as far as looking for it in the few exemplaries they had in Valyrian. After days and days of searching, she came out with nothing.

No stories written about ravens of three eyes. No symbolism, no nothing. It was as if it never had existed before, but Ylina knew better. People don't dream about anything. Everything has a reason to be. The old gods communicated with the people through their dreams, so why would they be making Bran have the same dream with the same raven every night when he closed his eyes to sleep if it meant nothing?

"My lady, you said it yourself... You haven't found anything in any of the books we have here." Maester Luwin sighed, already getting annoyed by the persistence of the girl on the matter. She had been on it for days now and would not leave it down, no matter how many time he told her he didn't know.

"I have read the books here, Maester, but you have read books in the Citadel. You must have read much more than I could ever read in my whole life."

"I have, my lady, but I have already told you... A raven of three eyes..."

"It has to mean something, Maester." Ylina insisted. "Please, if you don't know, help me figure it out."

"Have you ever, for a second, my lady, considered that it means nothing?" Maester Luwin asked, stopping with his walk for a while so the two of them could talk face-to-face properly for the first time since that conversation had started. "Bran is a child, my lady. And as you well know, children are famous for their imagination."

"But Bran has the same dream every night ever since he woke up from his fall." Ylina countered. "Maester, you cannot tell me you think this is all a coincidence."

"It is a little odd, my lady, but I have another theory."

"Maester Luwin..."

"Have you ever considered you feel guilty about your brother's state and now you want to do everything you can for him?" The man asked, causing the girl to frown and look down at the floor. He smiled gently at her. "Even the impossible."

"I have always done the impossible for my siblings." She mumbled, causing the Maester to nod.

"I know you have." He nodded, as Ylina lifted her head to look at him again. "And so do they. They appreciate your efforts, my lady, but I think you need to admit it now before you lose your mind over something as foolish as a child's dream. A raven of three eyes means nothing, Lady Ylina."

And just like that, Maester Luwin spun around and made his way down the corridor. With a sigh, Ylina debated whether she should listen to his advice or not. Was she overcompensating, trying to fix something for Bran simply because she couldn't fix the fact that she wasn't watching over him when he fell from the Broken Tower or were her instincts right and the raven that kept appearing in her brother's dreams was more than simply his wild imagination coming at play?

As she leaned against the cold brick wall of the Castle's hallway, Ylina breathed heavily as her head began to hurt again that morning. Maybe she wouldn't stop looking for an answer on the raven of three eyes, but certainly a pause couldn't hurt. Rubbing her hands against the sides of her head, Ylina heard the noise of metal scraping against the stone floor and looked up, just in time to see the wildling that had attacked Bran with her friends not three days before.

"May I ask you a question?" The woman asked, causing Ylina to nod and wave her hand so she knew it was alright to get closer. "Why does everyone around here calls you m'lady?"