The kraken and the wolf

Theon had allowed Maester Luwin to check on Ylina's wounds. Despite the fight she endured not three days before, she wasn't too hurt. The one bruise that needed some kind of attention was the small hole Yara had managed to put in the back of her head with her own spear. Other than that, a few scratches and a very red cheek. The real bruises weren't visible at the naked eye, but Maester Luwin knew Ylina like no one else. He had pulled her from her mother the day she was born the same as her brothers. He had watched her grow up from a small child and into the woman she was today and, never before had he seen her Stark grey eyes looking so dull and empty as they did now.

"Will you at least try to eat?" The older man said, already knowing Ylina would most likely not eat too much that night, especially considering the company she would be having. "You have been away for quite some time. I am certain you haven't had a proper meal in days, my lady."

"She is your princess now, old man." One of Theon's man spoke up, standing by the door of Maester Luwin's study as he examined her again. "You will treat her as such."

"Of course." The Maester mumbled, clearly annoyed before turning back to Ylina. "Forgive me, princess."

Ylina didn't even react. She waited in silence until Maester Luwin decided she was alright and stepped aside. Getting up from the chair she was sat on, Ylina turned to the guard Theon had assigned to her, but refused to meet his eyes.

"Take me to my chambers." She whispered, her voice devoid of all emotion. Maester Luwin sighed sadly.

"At once, my princess." The man said quickly, bowing slightly. "Follow me, if it pleases."

With a weak nod, Ylina left the room not even bothering to look back at Maester Luwin or thanking him for his services. Under any other circumstances, he would be offended, but under any other circumstances, Ylina would have never left without acknowledging the man. So he let it slide, only hoping to her own sake she would be strong enough to break through that numbness she put herself in to avoid the inevitable heartbreak.

Ylina followed the guard toward the room she used to share with Theon before he left to war. She almost felt the need to laugh. As the guard pushed the door open, she saw her three maids standing there. She saw the usual wolf and bear furs draped across her bed like they always were. She saw the map she had used to understand the attacks that had happened to her kingdom and plan her own strategies. She saw Daria, walking past her to stand where the crib beside her bed where Ember had been sleeping when she was around used to be. She felt her heart stop when she saw no sign of her son, but when Prya gave her the smallest of nods, she knew it was alright.

"Leave us." Ylina said, the same monotone voice she had used a few moments before coming out.

"I have orders to not leave you alone, my princess." The guard responded. "Prince Theon..."

"Is my husband and that gives me every right to order you to leave us be." She interrupted the man, still avoiding any type of eye contact. "Unless you want me to tell your prince that you refused to obey my order and insisted on staying in my chambers to watch me bathe. Is that what you want?"

"No, my princess." The man answered quickly, though he was clearly annoyed. "I will stand guard by your door. Once you are ready, I am to escort you to dinner with prince Theon."

"Yes." She nodded. "Now leave."

"My princess..." The man bowed, before retreating from the room and closing the door behind him.

As soon as he did, Ylina felt her knees give in and she fell to the floor, crying and sobbing hard. Wasting no time, her three maids set off to work. As Elissa undid the mess of a braid she still had her hair in, Uma helped the girl stand up, as she started to pull off her coat from her shoulders and then her boots and pants and shirt. When she was naked, the two maids guided her toward the bathtub placed in the middle of her room and helped her inside. Once Ylina settled down, the hot water helped her calm down, relaxing her aching muscles as she trembled in a mixture of a thousand different emotions.