Castle Black

"I know how this must look." Sam said, as he stood in front of Maester Aemon as both, Ylina and Gilly stood behind him. "What I meant was..."

"I swear to you, my lord..." Gilly spoke up, probably trying to defend Sam. Maester Aemon shook his head at her.

"I'm not a lord, my dear." He said. "Not for many, many years. Every man who joins the Night's Watch renounces all former titles. Among other things."

He turned to glare at Sam and the young man looked down embarrassed. Ylina bit her lip, bouncing Embar up in her hip to hold him better.

"What is your name?" Maester Aemon asked, looking at the wildling girl Sam had brought back to Castle Black with him.

"Gilly." She answered.

"Ah, for the gillyflower." The maester nodded with a smile. "Lovely."

"Yes, my..." Gilly stopped, looking at Sam, unsure of what to call him since he told her specifically that he was no lord.

"Maester." Sam whispered at her.

"Master." She said, as Sam shook his head.

"Maester." He repeated.

Maester Aemon simply ignored what happened and nodded at Gilly.

"And the child?" He asked.

"She hasn't chosen a name yet." Sam answered.

"His name is Sam." Gilly said, causing Sam to turn to look at her.

Gilly nodded at him and Ylina looked at them both with a gentle smile. It was clear what was happening there. Gilly clearly had been considering naming her child "Sam" for a long time, but Sam Tarly had no idea. She looked down at her own son.

"Tarly do you remember the oath you swore when you joined this order?" Maester Aemon asked, as he looked at Sam.

"He's not my child, Maester Aemon." Sam explained. "She's one of Craster's wives. I remember every word of the oath. Night gathers and my watch begins. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. The realms of men. That means her as well as us. We didn't build five hundred miles of ice wall, seven feet high to keep out men. The night is gathering, Maester Aemon. I've seen it. It's coming for all of us."

At that, Ylina looked down. Maester Aemon sighed, knowing Sam was right but that most brothers on the Watch would take advantage of having a woman around.

"Gilly, you and your son will be our guests for the time being." He decided and Sam let out a breath a relief. "We certainly cannot send you back beyond the Wall."

"Thank you Maester." She said. "I can cook and clean and I can..."

"Good." He nodded at her. "Now you, my lady."

At that, Ylina took a step forward. Maester Aemon looked at her and at the baby in her arms. He sighed.

"And what are you doing so far up North, my lady?" He asked.

"Haven't you heard, Maester?" She asked as he shook his head.

"We don't have many news regarding the politics of the realms, my lady. Only the most important of messages bother to get to us."

"I see." She nodded. "Well, Maester, you must know that my brother King Robb is away in war and he left me in charge of Winterfell and the North while he was away. Happens that... Well, hum... The Ironborn invaded the North, knowing it had its defenses weakened since King Robb was away with most of our army, so... They took Winterfell... Theon Greyjoy took Winterfell. He killed my brothers and I managed to escape from my home, riding North to the Wall, expecting Jon to be here so he could... So he could help me."